• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Not sure how far i'd go

Started by susanccr, July 29, 2014, 02:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

susanccr

I'm doing a correction on my first photo for OPR.   :up:

The problem I'm having is how far to take it.  I've corrected the color using the "set white point" method, cleaned up the damage, and now I'm at a crossroads.

The grass in this photo has some green color to it, but I'm not sure if it was tinted artificially or if it was originally a color photo.  I can either (1) colorize it slightly so that the whole photo matches the saturation of the grass, (2) make the whole thing black and white, (3) or leave it as-is.

What do you think?

G3User

Hi Susan,

Looks like a good one to start with. :up2:

Posting the original as well helps with comments, we can see what you have done or are struggling with and offer more appropriate suggestions.

Athol

kiska

There is no green tint. I'd make the photo bw.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

susanccr

Quote from: G3User on July 29, 2014, 03:44:22 AM

Posting the original as well helps with comments, we can see what you have done or are struggling with and offer more appropriate suggestions.

Athol

I edited my post to include the original.   

G3User

Yes it is a BW as Kiska advised.

All the images provided for restoration are colour so have RGB channels. It can be very useful if the BW photo has coloured damage on it as there is a chance one of the channels will be reasonably free of the damage and can be used as the basis of the restoration.

As Kiska suggested, no need to worry about colour correction, just levels, some contrast and set to BW. The face could do with a little smoothing and I am not sure about the dark spot above the left knee. The repaired areas look good :up:

Athol

susanccr

Here's how it finally turned out.  I did not change the tint at all, just used the white and black set points and used the same tint as the surroundings on the discolored parts around where it was torn.  It looks like someone used tape there.

Mhayes

Your repair looks good, but there is no tint as Kiska (and Athol) pointed out in her example. This was originally a black/white and the tint you are trying to duplicate is damage due from age. You will often get photos that have what looks like a sepia tint, but in reality it will be damage due to age and flood water that causes the photo to have a brown cast. This was a simple "Kodak moment" taken by the family and it is a black and white.

We do get photos that have tints and they are usually very old photos taken by a professional photographer. We even ask that those be changed to B/W and QC will tint as needed. When you get a series of photos from a family and different volunteers restoring, we don't want different tints for each one.

After changing this back to a B/W and you will be ready to send it home. Thanks.

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]