• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Texture Problems

Started by philbach, July 07, 2014, 09:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

Well this photo has a significant texture problem.  Having a Mac I don't have the FFT plug in which I guess would work.   Currently I still have residual texture.  So I was wondering how to proceed.  The Healing brush on the current version tended to be somewhat spotted.  I do know that for the Mac there is a fft filter in "Image J" which is a graphics application, but the manual is about 200 pages.  So advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

phil

G3User

Hi Phil,

Just getting used to the step up (?) from XP to Win 8.1, sometimes I wish for a MAC

Like what you have done so far. I can't see the sort of repeating pattern in the original that FFT could help with so I think you have taken the best route. The following has a zig zag curve filter on top, there are still a few spots of the original damage and it highlights the spottedness that you say is from the healing brush. You will see the effect better on the original sized image

The best part about the curve on a layer is that you can do repairs under it, using both the patch tool and healing brush at different sizes to produce smoother changes. Sometimes putting a levels layer directly below the curves layer with the mid tone slider set to anywhere between 1.2 and 1.4 helps to identify problem areas.

Athol

philbach

Thanks Athol.  I have never used the zig zag curve although I know its out there.  It gives me something to study and work with. 
phil

philbach

Well I tried to get another reference of the zig and zag technique off the web, but I was not successful.  At any rate I did use the technique on the photo and it did show the texture quite clearly.  Enclosed is the before on the right and the after on the left of photos altered with the zig zag technique. 
    Part of the problem with my post is that the resolution of the photos is lower than the original and the texture problem does not show up well.

But double click this image and look at the cheeks and around the eyes and the teeth on the right and compare to the left.
Thanks Athol.

phil