• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Between Copy Runs

Started by Mhayes, June 02, 2014, 01:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I know it is frustrating to have so few photos in the galleries and for once it is a guess as to when or where our next copy run will be held. Originally it was hoped that is would be in Oso, WA. Right now they are still reuniting owners to the photos.  Only the mental health people are allowed in the handling of the photos/belongings. The person in charge has a notebook of OPR samples of before/after restorations and she said the people that look through it are very impressed. What is different about this disaster is that the photos were recovered so quickly and then the archivist came in and showed the volunteers how to clean, dry, and put in folders for later viewing. Because the photos were cleaned, the majority of them are not going to need restoring.

While we waited on Oso, other disasters occurred and we have sent out feelers to see if we can help. Close to home there were tornadoes that hit Baxter Springs, KS and also in OK, AK. Since tornadoes have been the hardest for us to help; I touched base with Thad Beeler, who is the director of the NDPR in Carthage, MO and was the one we worked closely with after the Joplin, MO tornado. He is going to pass our OPR brochures around, but even he did not think there would be a need for us down there. We don't want to plan a copy run and then only have ten people show up and that is what happened in Moore, OK after their tornado.

I have had people from other past disasters (ones we covered) contact us and even though we might not be returning to their neighborhood--we can help. I will take scanned copies, but they have to be at 300 dpi resolution and they have to have all the bells and whistles turned off on the scanner. Presently I am waiting on a fellow that has some really old photos that he has scanned and will be mailing to me on a flash drive. Once I get those, I will upload them.

If you have any ideas of a present need for us to have a copy run in your area, let me know.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]