• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need advice

Started by philbach, April 14, 2014, 09:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

I suspect this restore is more than I can handle.  The good news is that I've learned a lot.  I would appreciate any suggestions you may have on how to improve this photo.  Thanks

phil

lurch

<C>

philbach

It does look painted.  That is the problem.
phil

bjtx

Wow, Phil, I can see that you sure have put in a lot of work.

just a little suggestion to consider:
- try placing your wip over a color-corrected copy of the original. Then reduce the opacity of the wip image to a point at which you might consider resuming your work.

I realize that some of the current wip image will vanish, but you might be happier in the long run to back up a little & start again at a new point.

(Perhaps, experiment with different blending modes - lighter, darker, etc. when blending the current wip with the original.,)

fwiw: I've done the above with some of my work more than I care to admit  :)

(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Bambi

I agree with Betty. Maybe you could try using that layer set to Color blend mode and use a copy of the layer with the damage repaired (before you painted) as a Luminosity layer, then adjust until it looks right. You might have to do a little work after that.

Bambi

Mhayes

Phil,

This is not an easy one to pull off. The term painted can have a bad connotation if not done right, but there are those and Kiska is one that can do a do it beautifully, but even she prefers not to unless no other way out. It takes more skills than I have and it means being very good with brushes. The girl by being painted seems to have lost the expression in her eyes and they look dead. With a color correction her skin would be fair and not pink. Look at the green channel and you see more detail. On her eyes and I do not see the eyeliner look that you given at the bottom. I also do not think she has the puffiness under her eyes. Her lips look like she doesn't have lipstick and I wouldn't paint with pink. I think you have really given a lot of effort to shading her face so the contours will look right.

I would probably color correct and then make a second copy and use the green channel as a black/white (but still in RGB mode) and then colorize. This is not an easy one to restore and kudos for you for trying.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Well thanks everyone.  I will have another go at it. And step back some.  This one may be beyond my abilities. 
phil

battleaxe

Hi Phil,
   Sometimes the healing, blurring layers need a bit of noise added to them to make them more normal looking, to blend in better.

jesterjeni

I moved the original to a different cleaner background, I usually don't do that but I wanted to emphasize the woman's features  . I turned it black and white and cleaned it up a little. Maybe this could help. Also I repaired the slanted eye with the good one http://imageshack.com/a/img841/47/iz1d.jpg

philbach

Well I took Margie's advice and started working on the green channel.  I used the healing brush primarily. That seemed to be a much better path to take.  Here is where I am now.  I realize that more toning around the forehead and top of nose should be done.
phil

Mhayes

Phil, This is much better. More work to do as you noted, but she looks much better.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Thank you Margie.  Thanks for you advice as well.  I will press on.
phil

Candice

You've come so far with a difficult picture!!  :up:  Am enjoying watching the progress!
Candice