• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What to do about her left arm

Started by philbach, January 23, 2014, 12:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

Enclosed is the original and where I am now.   I would like to work on the girl's left arm and add some.  The questions is what is she doing with her forearm.  Supporting the Baby or perhaps reaching out to her left.  I would appreciate your opinions.

phil

dle

This is coming along well.

My best guess for the girl's left arm is that she's reaching down and a bit to the left for support against the onslaught of two wiggly little ones. I don't think she's using it to support either of the babies.

I agree with your interpretation that the skin we see just below the elbow of the little one who's facing away is his or her back and that he/she is wearing diapers. I wonder, though, if his/her back doesn't curve downwards more just below the elbow shadow than is shown in the WIP. That would let a bit more of the girl's blue top show.

Dunno. The info has been wiped out by the yellow damage, so it's a real judgement call.
Dave

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
-- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut (1953–1994)

philbach

Thanks Dave.  My dear wife took a look and said that the "arm" is actually the right arm of the fourth child who is facing away from the camera.  So we are looking at the back of the arm. One can see a smidgen of the right forearm.  Maybe that is the correct interpretation
phil

Mhayes

Phil, I think your wife is right and it makes more sense because the other girl's head looks too big for the body. This photo is like a jigsaw puzzle trying to fit the pieces together.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Here is the blue channel after levels and curves. I don't see a 4th child??

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

Well the case for the fourth child is as follows:  In the original rgb version it appears to show some of the forearm of the girl in the background. It looks more like the back of the elbow than the front of the elbow. The forearm fragment does not show up well in the blue channel.  The other premise is that instead of a chin line on the background girl what is seen is some hair. And the bow on the shoulder strap shoulder strap would be on the back of the shoulder rather than the front (I guess ^-^).

phil

bjtx

could the girl's arm be something like this? 
To me, she seems to bending forward, somewhat twisted, supporting the babies in a hug-like fashion, 
She seems thin & her thin upper  arm/elbow are jutted slightly backward.  The forearm & head seem a little too large, probably because they are nearer to the camera  then the rest of her body.

fwiw:  I don't see a 4th child.  However, it sure might be there.
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

Well Kiska and Betty that was where I was going with this before I got distracted.  And along these lines the skin that I could see on the blue channel above the diaper was not from baby #2's skin but in fact was part of the left hand from background child #3.  That does make sense and I will run with that.  Thanks for your help.
phil