• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New Challenge Gallery

Started by bjtx, September 24, 2013, 09:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjtx

What is the procedure for viewing the new Challenges Gallery & the procedure for participating?  I signed in to view the images, but received the message 'Permission Required. This gallery is private and cannot be viewed.'

If someone restores the challenge photo to meet QA standards will it be printed & sent to the family?

btw,  it's surprising (and somewhat disappointing) that there are so few thank you replies from families who receive restored photos.  Or, am I just not seeing the posts.   Please don't misunderstand - I'm not complaining, I'm just puzzled.
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Mhayes

BJTX,

The Challenge Gallery has the same photos that have languished forever in the galleries and no takers, so we decided that maybe we needed to have a gallery to separate them by invitation to those who have done similar difficult restores. All of these would have been available before, so it wouldn't be like you missed your chance to restore one. We also need to free up space in the regular galleries to add more photos that don't discourage volunteers by seeming impossible to restore. If the photos in the "challenge" gallery cannot be restored to QC standards then they will be put in a non-restore folder. Since these photos were open to everyone before and no takers, it is easier to put them aside and approach volunteers we think might be up to the challenge. If you think your up to it, let us know.

Of course a challenge photo that meets QC standards will be printed and shipped home to the family--why would we not give it back to the family? OPR will most likely pick up the cost as it is not fair to have DigMyPics pay again for the same family.

I post every thank you that comes our way--no exceptions. I have no idea why so few. There is a chance that when Jan calls the family they thank her. If they elaborated past a thank you, Jan would pass that on. Another reason maybe that sending thank yous by mail is a dying art. I know how much it means for all the work, but I don't have a good answer. Part of our thank yous happen at the copy runs where people let us know how much it means.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

seelcraft

How about letting us at least peek at the "Challenge" pics, to see if we are interested? Or even "borrow" one to see if we can pump some detail out of a channel or whatever?
Doug
Chemists have solutions!

Mhayes

Sure Doug, we may just open it up for everyone and give it a different name. If we do most likely it will not be limited to just one person. This is what we did before and the best restore goes home if it can be restored. Even though these are close to non restores, they still have to meet QC standards.

It's amazing what is forbidden becomes so desirable whereas before it was viewed as toxic and no one wanted one. Reminds me of Tom Sawyer and painting the picket fence.  ::)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jonas.Wendorf

Since I created the gallery I feel like I owe you to at least explain the reason behind it ;)

The new "Challenges" gallery (which I just renamed to "Non-restores Gallery" by the way which is probably a more fitting name) is a new test drive for us. We noticed that sometimes we have a lot of pictures in our galleries, but nobody wants to take them because they're extremely difficult. On the same hand though it's overwhelming for us to take too many pictures in the galleries and it also scares of the less experienced (since the pictures are usually sorted by date added, so the hardest will stick at the top after a while).

I hope this clears some things up and takes away some of the "forbidden beauty" of the new gallery  ;D

Jonas
Best regards,
Jonas

seekingoz

I decided to check out the challenge gallery because I worked on an image about 6 months ago and had to give up on it for a number of reasons. I wanted to see if it was still in the gallery. I logged in, clicked on the challenge gallery, and a message came up saying that I didn't have permission to view the gallery. How does someone get permission?

Judy

seekingoz

I guess I didn't read all the posts very carefully.  :-[

The image I worked on isn't here. I'll have to check the before and after gallery to see if anyone posted a final image.

Thanks!