• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Building or no building? Guess or remove?

Started by Sloop, June 01, 2013, 01:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sloop

Original:

There is obviously a building hidden behind the damage on the left hand side of this image.  I've tried to remake it as best as I can, but I can't see its detailed features - I can only see the porch steps, tell there are tall windows, see the roof is flat, see a cyclone fence in front, etc.

Is it better for me to "guess" at recreating this building and take a big chance of getting the details wrong, or remove it completely from the image?

WIP with building:

WIP building removed:

What do you think?

Marti
"There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes."  ― Abraham Lincoln

bjtx

Thanks for posting your WIPs.

Your work on both versions look good. However, less distinct background elements might be preferred here.

If I were working with this photo, I would consider consulting with the distributor about submitting the second version-- but, first softly blend/fade the tree line with the concrete; then match both the right & left sides. (perhaps eliminate the grass).  I would also ask if QA would consider cropping the photo.
---  just my thoughts, fwiw ----

Hopefully, QA will comment about their standards regarding a building, grass, etc.
Betty
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Sloop

Hi Betty.

Thank you for your suggestions.  They help a lot.

I did ask my distributor what they wanted and they suggested posting here to get advise from the group.

The trees, grass, sidewalk/parking lot are all just cleaned up from the original.  I didn't even consider removing them.  But maybe I should.

The stairs, fence shape/size of the building are also from the original (well as best as I could get them anyway).  Its the details of the windows, doors, etc I can't see and am having to guess at. 

Hopefully QA will let me know how they would like me to proceed.

Marti
"There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes."  ― Abraham Lincoln

bjtx

Marti,  I spoke too soon.  Unfortunately, I hadn't worked out all the background details in original, as well as you have.    Since I spoke too soon, I should withdraw my suggestions.  (that type of damage is like figuring out a puzzle  :) )
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

glennab

Hi Marti

You certainly chose a bruiser!  I'm going to post a copy of your original that I've color corrected and added guesses as to what some of the areas might be.  To the right, I think you may have stairs coming down from a platform from which the graduates descended.  Behind that could be a building - but barely recognizable. 

There's a man in the background, and I don't know if he's likely to be important enough to try to rough out the rest of him by copying and flopping  him - then blending in the pieces as best you can.  If you place the flopped copy on a separate layer, then you can mask out whatever is overlapping.  I'd certainly check with your distributor to see if they think he's important enough to mess with.

I like what you did with the trees, and I don't know that you could do much more with the rest of the background than what you have.  It does look like pavement.

Those were the only things that popped out at me.  Good luck!

GK

My down-and-dirty tweaks of the original:

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi Marti,

What a great job you did in both variations. Personally I would stick with the one with just the people and the background. If there is no reference photo among the other photos for this family; I see no reason to try to restore what you really do not have enough information to go on. As to the man in the background I would venture he is just someone who was passing by. The two people are the important thing in this photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]