• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

approaching deadline! any suggestions...

Started by pixelz, November 22, 2006, 06:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelz

Hey all,

This is my first project for oprworkshop and I wanna get it right! :)

Here's the original:
http://www.ncri.org.uk/images/other/original_forWeb.jpg

and here's my reconstruction so far:
http://www.ncri.org.uk/images/other/retouched_forWeb.jpg

There are still a couple of things still to do on this, but wanted to ask you guys if you had any ideas on fixing the kinda honeycomb damage on the faces especially around the noses (and mouth of the man) - have tried everything from simple healing brush/stamp tool painting to adjustment layers, but it all comes out too painted-looking. Going for realism here...

Any ideas anybody? Also constructibve critisism very welcome!

Thanks all!

Gareth
The saints are coming ...

pixelz

Oh yeah, I havn't forgotten the sepia tone - will def add at the end of the process!
;)

Kenny

Hmm, I remember seeing a post where someone was talking about that very thing. I think it might have been Leah. I'll search around and see if I can find it.

Kenny :)

*Edit..

I found it! Go here:   http://www.oprworkshop.org/forum/index.php?topic=383.0

What causes that pattern, by the way? I was always curious.

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny -

I'm wondering if the photo was pressed to something like net before it was recovered, causing the honeycomb effect. It doesn't look like paper texture or any sort of painterly effect.

I'm trying to post as I'm surrounded by very vocal grandchildren (I'm having the time of my life with 5 of the 7 -- played a little soccer yesterday -- very little, since the first catch sent me end-over-end and scared them all to death.  They wouldn't even play with me after that - very protective since I broke my back a few years ago.  I was fine, but they wouldn't play with me.  Waaaaa!)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

paula

The honeycomb look comes from the paper it was printed on back in the day. 

cmpentecost

Hi Gareth,

Do you know what size this photo is to be printed at?  I think we all sometimes make the mistake of zooming in too close and seeing damage that isn't visible at a smaller size.  I think what you've done is very nice.  I don't have anything to add to your restoration.  I can see areas that need more repair, but I suspect you see the same thing.  Sometimes, printing it out at the size the photo will be helps to "see" what is visible, and what is not.  Good luck with this one!

Christine

pixelz

Hey all,

Thanks for all the feedback!

Kenny: brilliant - thanks for that mate! will definately look into that plugin and see if it can help. Not sure if it'll pull this one through (heh - also on my final day of deadline so gotta get this one up anyway) but I've seen a few others with this problem too, so Leah may well have a good solution in that tip. Nice one!

cmpentecost: hmmm... very good suggestion - I may well print it out and see how it looks. Bit of work to do certainly, but have pretty much hit most of the targets on this one anyway. Don't wanna overdo it! I think it was about 8x11 originally.

Wow! so it's Thanksgiving over there? doesn't exist here in the UK, so am never sure as to the dates and stuff. Always seems to creep up on me too - like all the years do! Anyway, a big HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all me American pals! Hope you have a wonderful, peaceful weekend (grandchildren notwithstanding) and remember to hug you family! We're lucky to have them!

peace!

G

pixelz

:D

whooohoo!! All done!!!

any feedback completely welcome...

http://www.ncri.org.uk/images/other/finished.jpg

right ... next one!!  this is great!!

^-^

klassylady25

Next time you have that much texture to an old print, look up the FFT Filter.  There is also a tutorial on RetouchPro.  It may help you remove that extra texture.

Dave

Pixelz,

That's some nice work on a pretty desparate image. Keep it up.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

zapphnath

Looks great, so far.

Another cause for that nasty honeycomb effect is the photo albums with the sticky plastic.  When you peel it back, some of that small amount of glue used to hold the page in place ends up transfered to the plastic and, in time, it damages the photo.
I've seen it on plenty of my own photos - it's unmistakable.