• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New Jersey Copy Run

Started by Mhayes, April 11, 2013, 09:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

I have been running behind because of the broken ankle---I know, excuses, excuses! OPR is planning a second copy run this year to help those hit by Hurricane Sandy. Home Depot is hosting our event and more news later, but here is the flier for the event. If you know anyone in New Jersey that could use help, pass the information on.

I will also be posting about our New York trip.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

bjtx

Wonderful sponsor.  Love the flyer & the selection for the 'before & after' example!
Sounds like it will be a very successful & wonderful event.  
Best of luck to the copy run team!
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Tori803

Thanks for posting Margie. Hoping for a great turnout!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Margie, that is a beautiful poster, looks great!
Hope there are volunteers in that area that can help out.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks goes to Tori for designing the poster. Spread the word to anyone you might know in New Jersey that could use our help or would like to help on our copy run.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

pixelesh

I'm very happy to say I'm going to be a part of this copy run. It's something I have wanted to help with since I joined OPR 5 years ago, and especially significant because New Jersey is my home state.

:)
Leslie

Pat

Looking forward to meeting you in NJ Leslie.  I'm sure you will find the copy run a very rewarding experience.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tori803

Have fun you two. I'd love to be there with you!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

pixelesh

Likewise, Pat! Margie, very sorry to hear you will not be there this time.

And I see we've made the AP wire - the news is spreading!

Mhayes

Leslie, I wish I was coming to the run and could meet you, but maybe on another run in the future. Yes, we are starting to get some publicity and have already received request for interviews during our stay and also a phone interview with TV station New 12 that will run tonight at 7:10 Eastern and will show some of our before/afters. This will be great to have this before we come and hopefully they will cover us while we are there. I also noticed while doing a search this announcement: http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Charity-to-fix-photos-damaged-by-Sandy-in-NJ-4454038.php I am very grateful to the AP for getting this out. I contacted the AP reporter that did the story in NY and she relayed the info to an AP in NJ---very much appreciated.

Here is the reason why I will be sitting this one out. Although I will have the cast off Monday, I will be wearing an air-boot for while until I can walk. Six weeks being cooped up is a long, long time.

Artwork done by my artist friend Kat Besthorn. She wasn't thrilled that I had picked green for my cast color, but it came out pretty good.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

pixelesh

Whew, that's quite some cast, nice work on the surface design! Must be incredibly frustrating to be hampered by the lack of mobility. Had you considered doing the copy run in a wheelchair?

Mhayes

Thanks! Yes, I have even considered being air lifted like an elephant to another reserve, but the distance is too far. As much as I would like to go, it is not practical. Monday I get the cast taken off (hopefully) and an air boot in its place. That means some support with crutches and I really couldn't keep up the pace at a copy run. I will miss not going, but am excited about the team going and things are shaping up for this to be a very successful run. You will have the time of your life and come away with a greater appreciation of how much this means to people. It will also break your heart to hear some of their stories, but you will bring a lot of cheer into their lives knowing they will see their photos restored.

Check out the new homepage/blog as the photo is from Liz Roll who is a FEMA photographer and also OPR volunteer. I got to meet her in Hummelstown, PA. She has also been instrumental in getting FEMA involved and they are carrying news of us in their newsletter.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]