• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Resolution on New York Photos

Started by Mhayes, February 08, 2013, 09:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

During the NY copy run we had super camera equipment and one copy stand owned by Chase was around $20,000 for the stand and lights and the Hasselblad camera at $100,000. All were metered correctly for the lightening. The only problem is that some of the photos are at 240 dpi and few at 300 dpi. I know we stress the 300 dpi, but the quality will be fine at 240 and you cannot go up in resolution unless you start out at a much larger size.

Here is what Katrin Eisman had to say about it:

Quote240, 300, 400 are all the same and has no impact on file size or print quality. Its the pixel X & Y dimensions that matter. Please note pixel distribution as in this example is one of the classic digital imaging myths. It doens't matter as you still have the same number of pixels in the file.

So I suggest you crop as needed but do not change the ppi.

See what your photo's resolution is at and keep it at that.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Here is another explanation which will help those who are having fits when they see the 240 dpi on photos that we normally have at 300 dpi. It's OK. See this link: http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Us8y

Take a deep breadth and go with the flow on these photos---just stick with what your original photos come in at.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Thanks, Margie, for the clarification.
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

seekingoz

With everything gearing up, I was wondering how long we should expect to wait to hear if we've been picked to do a restoration. I commented on 3 photos yesterday. If I don't hear anything, when should I make more choices? :-\

Judy

Tori803

Hi Judy. I would recommend leaving comments again. Try Tess' gallery. Remember that Tess is in Australia so there is a time lag. Also, here is a link to a reminder about some pitfalls to avoid when leaving comments:

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,3925.0.html
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

seekingoz

Thanks Tori. We'll see what happens this time.

Judy

Mhayes

Hi Judy,

I tried to answer your question yesterday, but most of the day our site was down and I couldn't. Tess also was having trouble accessing Photoshelter from her side of the pond even though we could over here. Follow Tori's suggestions and you should have better luck today, but also remember there maybe plenty of requesst for the same photo before your's. I know it's frustrating, but once more photos become available things will smooth out.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

seekingoz

I am well aware you were down yesterday. I figured it was because this project has become so popular and people overwhelmed the site. :loveit:

I don't mind re-picking but this is my first attempt and I don't know whether we'll hear if we don't get our picks or if we just wait a few days and try again if we don't get an email.

Thanks,
Judy

Mhayes

Judy, this time I think it might have been weather related or a bug on their end and not that we are so popular.  :loveit: We have taken steps to cover more traffic on our site so know that was not the problem.

Yes, wait and if nothing than try again---it will get better I promise.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]