• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

What is the white area under his red jacket?

Started by philbach, December 05, 2012, 08:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

:D
This for me is a hard category restore.  At any rate what do you think is under his red jacket.  Is the white area a shirt or skin?  Just wondering.  Thanks
phil

Hannie

Good grief Phil, are you trying to scare us away from the forum?  I can't believe you picked this one!
I think the red hooded sweater may have bunched up upward some and the white that shows could be a romper.

(I tried the Median Noise, 3 pixels radius, on this photo and took a lot of the damage away)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Phil, this is close to being a non-restore, but I would work with what you have and not attempt to read something into it since we don't know. The white part almost has a pumpkin shape with and wizard like side view complete with eye, nose, and mouth. I would leave as is, because no way of knowing what is what. The white at the bottom could be undershirt, edging, or damage---leave it. I would work mainly on the baby and maybe some clean up on the surrounding area, but pretty much letting the rest stay as is.

Kudos for taking this one.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Well thanks.  Using a previous Hannie recommendation I used the healing brush on the facial skin and that seems to coming along ok.  I was thinking of trying an FFT filter but being a mac user I've never gotten the proper software.  Another thing I may try is frequency separation on this mess.  But surprisinglly the healing brush technique, starting with a tiny small good sample seemed to work quite well and left some texture in after using it. 

I do wonder a little bit though, who was the one that thought this could be restored.  Ha.
phil

Hannie

Good question Phil, we should look further into that... :knuppel:

There is a Mac version FFT filter called Image, I posted several links some time ago:
http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,1564.msg16481.html#msg16481

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

:wnw:

This is a tough one. I agree with Margie and Hannie. Just tackle this one matching one tiny spot at a time. Every time I try to take a "broad brush" approach to one of these, it goes wrong. Just look at each tiny spot. If it used to be white, match it. If it used to be skin, match that spot. Treat yourself occasionally by reducing the size to see the whole image and click back and forth between your work in progress and the original and be awestruck by the progress you've made. It's tedious, but rewarding work.

Bambi

kiska

Actually, I think he's pulling his hoodie up with his right hand.... IF that's any help.   ^-^
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

phil