• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Are those clouds or just damage?

Started by smceachron, June 28, 2012, 05:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smceachron

Hi,  Can anyone help with the background on these photos?  I can't tell if the background is plain or has clouds or is just a bunch of damage. :-\ Thanks, Sandi
~ Sandi :)

Bambi

There seems to be very little damage on the girl in the top picture in the original, so I would assume the background in that picture is undamaged as well. If so, that's what the background should look like and you might be able to use it to fix the damage in the bottom picture.

Bambi

smceachron

Just wondering.  That's a very busy background.  The eye is drawn to the clouds instead of the little girl.  Hmmmm.

Mhayes

Sandi, I agree with Bambi that there seems to be little damage to the little girl in the oval. However, when I look at the bottom and see the white so pronounced in one area, I wonder too is that was the backdrop or mold. I called the owner and she was in the car, but when she gets home she will look the photo over---sent a low resolution to her by email---and let us know if this was natural or damage.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

smceachron

The left side of the lower background looked the same as the right side.  I tried to clean up the left side of the lower photo. That's why it looks funky.  I'm just not sure.  Thank you for your help. ~ Sandi  :)

G3User

Sandi,

I am inclined to think you have a mixture of damage and "clouds". You might find the following useful, I routinely use it.
Mould damage often has reasonably high contrast edges and this approach highlights them. It works best on a full resolution image but from what I can see on the image you posted it might help you decide. Takes a bit of practice to get used to the appearance but once you do, you can even use it to view the image while doing very selective repairs.

Add a Curve layer and drag the curve to something like shown, it isn't critical. I have saved the curve so I don't have to repeat creating it.

Then add a Levels layer below it with the mid value increased to approx 1.3, you can play with this value. For best results view the image you are working on at 100%

Original 100% Crop

With Zig Zag curve added.

With Zig Zag  Curve plus Levels

I also find it useful for checking blending in repairs, it makes it easy to see areas which could be smoother

Athol

Mhayes

Hi Sandi,

I don't know if this helps or not, but maybe will help to keep some of the white, but also maybe have it blended better. How's that for help?  :D

QuoteMargie,

Yes, it's supposed to be soft white & blue. I think some of the blue washed away, though.

Thank you so much for what you're doing. It means a lot to us!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

smceachron

Yikes!  I'll try your method.  It sounds very intriguing.  I'll let you know what happens.  Thank you for checking with the owner.  Hugs, Sandi :loveit:

G3User

Forgot to mention that you can toggle the levels layer on and off for the best result in a particular area

Athol

smceachron

Athol, Thanks for the toggle idea.  All suggestions are much appreciated. ~ Sandi :loveit:

Bambi

PhotoBob

I think it's just a pattern on the background. Because - It suddenly stops at the floor.  Who picked that one out??  :(

Bob
PhotoBob
"Every cat should come with his own instruction manual."  -- BP Collin

smceachron

Well, I think I'm OK with the background now, but I'm still no good with reconstructing faces.  Should I give this over to someone who does faces well?  I hate to use up more time on this photo.  Thx, Sandi :-[

smceachron

:'(Bambi,  I'm sorry to say, I'm just no good with faces.  So I'm giving you back the photo.  Do you want what I have completed so far or just the original?  Thank you so much.  Sandi

Bambi

No problem, Sandi. I'll put it back in my gallery.