• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Tropical Storm Debby

Started by Mhayes, June 25, 2012, 11:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Thanks for the report Glenna, it sounds like you are in a unique spot that is relatively safe!
So glad to hear you and your loved ones are not in harms way, take good care of yourself.

Best wishes,

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

Glad you're okay! The newscasters seem excited that now the drought is over for Florida - but they don't have to do the cleanup!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

G3User

Good news GK, living on a hill always seems like a good idea

Apart from the Presidential race, all we seem to be hearing about the US is fires, storms and floods. You are all very brave to live in such a dangerous place ;)

Athol

glennab

Athol, we've certainly had our share of disasters in the past few years.  I just saw a drawing of the wildfires out west, and it's terrifying. It looks as if the whole southwest is being burned down. 

I just talked to my daughter-in-law, and since they live in the middle of Florida near Gainesville, they're like us; they don't get the worst of the weather.  But she was saying that the Suwanee River is supposed to crest this weekend to over 5 feet above normal, which means terrible flooding in Florida's Panhandle. My grandson, who's in the National Guard is doing damage clean-up in Live Oak, which is near the Florida/Georgia border. The panhandle really got slammed. 

No matter where you go in the States, there's some sort of threat: earthquakes on the west coast, tornadoes and drought in the midwest, extreme cold and snow and ice storms in the northeast, and hurricanes and tornadoes in the southeast and Gulf Coast.  We get to pick our potential disaster of choice. Since ours is hurricanes and floods, we just prepare as best we can.  We stock up on water and have a propane stove and lantern, lots of flashlights, batteries, a generator, MREs, canned food, and hand-crank radio, a first aid kit - and we make sure everything is well stocked before hurricane season starts.  Every year we add something new.  This year, IM bought a photovoltaic array for the garage roof, so we can run electricity with that if necessary. Also imperative this year is metal shutters for the windows. Then all we can do is hide in the middle of the house and pray that we don't get a direct hit.  I've lived here since 1968 and we haven't had one so far.  Lots of damage from outer bands, but not one coming ashore.  Here's hoping our luck holds!

The drought is definitely over - but now we have sinkholes everywhere because the water is causing our aquifer to collapse.  Too many people using too much water when there isn't enough. But the contractors have to keep building and bringing in more people until the state can't support them.  Typical.  And sad.

Anyway, enough of that frivolity! Thanks for caring about our well-being.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)