• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

From This to That ~ School Days

Started by Candice, June 19, 2012, 08:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Candice

Pat

You certainly have been doing a lot of beautiful work lately Candy.  You have been an inspiration for all of us.  Your latest here is no exception. 

One thing that does seem to catch my eye is that the collar and front of the blouse has lost the original detail, and soft fabric quality, that is apparent in the undamaged area of the original.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

I can't help but wonder if this was hand painted. When I did a color correction, it worked better in Curves and not good in Levels as it made her blouse more or a slate color. I think the Curves correction would be closer as it would compliment her vest.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Here's where she stands.
Candice

Mhayes

This is not an easy photo to repair especially when information is missing. Because of that I am for allowing the replacement in those areas. However, I don't think her blouse opened like that and I believe it was buttoned at the top.

Really nice restore!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on June 20, 2012, 06:44:53 PM
This is not an easy photo to repair especially when information is missing. Because of that I am for allowing the replacement in those areas. However, I don't think her blouse opened like that and I believe it was buttoned at the top.

Really nice restore!

Margie

Thank you.   

1. Could be a pocket.

2. I used curves until the very last for the coloring.

3. I have had collar closed and opened.     

4.  I can close the collar add the button at the top. 

Let's see how that looks because at this point it's a matter of interpretation and the focal point is the young lady. 
Candice

Mhayes

1.  It doesn't look like a pocket and usually that would be to the side and not in the center. I think the seam goes all the way down, but not up. It could even be a decorative stitch.  Above that button it is not there.

2.  No problem.

3. & 4. I think it could go either way, but the button would be at the top and the blouse would come up that high even if not buttoned. As high up as the collar is, I'm betting t it is buttoned.

Anyone else have thoughts on the blouse?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

Margie and Candy:

Since there's no information at all where the collar meets the center of the blouse, I studied the way the collar lies and the way the center of the blouse appears to continue up to the collar.  I think the blouse is buttoned all the way the top, with a little curvature between the top and the button that shows because of the tilt of her head. I think what we can see of the collar fits too closely to her neck to be open at the top. However, the double stitching that ends at the button that we can see is puzzling, as it would be more logical that it would go all the way to the top, as Candy showed it in the first version.  But there's really no indication of that in the original. Perhaps Candy's right; that it is part of a pocket. But having made blouses before, a pocket normally wouldn't go that close to the button. I'd follow what we can see and bring the blouse to the top, closed, with a button at the top but leave the stitching at the bottom of the button we can see.  (I think that all that blah, blah, blah basically indicates that I agree with Margie's assessment.)

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Glenna, it would be an odd spot for a pocket but then again it's an odd place for a seam that starts below a button and doesn't go above the button.  That wouldn't make sense in sewing.  So it either is or isn't without the seam. 

I'm still not as satisfied with this collar as I'd like.  Perhaps someone else with a different idea would like to take over in that area. 
Candice

Mhayes

Looks like this one could send you to the loony bin!  :D Right now on Rh of center the part of her blouse makes it look like she has a bow. I'm wondering if more of the vest coming up and also a little more of the collar which will be darker would break things up. If all else fails go back to plan B, C, D . . . or your last rendition might be the easiest.

GK, thanks for the laugh:

Quote(I think that all that blah, blah, blah basically indicates that I agree with Margie's assessment.)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

:knuppel:

Work 5 <--- love it, the number just keeps going up! 

Okay, here is where she stands now.  I shifted the bottom button, removed the odd seam and added a smaller button below the collar seam and at the top of the collar.  Coming up I had a couple shirts like this.  It's a lot closer and I'm more satisfied at this point with it.   

Candice

Pat

Candy I think you have an accurately depicted the design of the shirt  :up2:, but I don't think the collar was a darker color than the rest of the shirt.  Looking closely at the original, the collar does seem a little darker near her hair maybe due to lighting; otherwise it seems the same as the front of the shirt.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Candice

Thanks Pat. Your input was encouraging. Color can be worked with.  I hope that there is a mutual consensus as to the shape of the collar.  I'll be working on the color while I watch for others response.

Candice

glennab

Candy, the construction of the collar is making me crazy.  There's usually a reason for fabric to be added to a garment - either for practical reasons or for decorative uses.  This just doesn't add up.  Is it possible that because of the way her wisps of hair curl over the collar at the left as we look at her that there's the hint of a seam when one isn't really there?  Could the collar actually be notched, and the two pieces on each side actually be sewn together as one, the way a suit jacket would be constructed? I hate to add to the confusion, but the extra under-collar doesn't look as if it belongs. If the diagonal lines were removed, you'd have the notched collar.  What do you think?

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Who would have thought the havoc one collar could produce. Yes, I agree the collar is the same color, but it would be darker closer to her chin and near near her hair. My other thought is that the fold you see on your Lh side does not carry over to your RH side. If if is a fold the edges would be softer and in the middle would be a little darker (just slightly) because of less light hitting it.

I do like this last version.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]