• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Camper dog

Started by Johnboy, June 16, 2012, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

A few months ago my iMac G4 flat screen Ethernet quit working. So I upgraded to a new iMac with 10.7 (Lion). This meant a lot of my software would not work on the new machine including Photoshop CS. However I am back but with Photoshop Elements 10. Can't afford the expensive Adobe software.

Below is my first restore using Elements. I picked an easy one for now. Let me know what you think.

Original

Restore

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

Pat

I love this photo Johnboy.  The little dog has such a happy face.  It reminds me of our little carin terrier Jake who went everywhere with us.

Your restore looks great.  What a bum deal about your Photoshop CS, but now you can be our Master of Tips and Tricks for Elements users :).  I do see what appears to be a bit of yellow damage remaining in the lower left corner of the table top.  I know you can take care of that in a jiffy.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Johnboy

Thanks Pat. I knew that yellow tinge was there but forgot about it later. That should be an easy fix.

So far I have found most everything I have used in PS in Elements. I used Levels for color correction. Just found Curves today, but it is not the same curves as in PS. I lost Channels. It is probably there somewhere but not available to look at as I saved some selections today and PS put them in Channels. It will be a challenge figuring work arounds.

Johnboy

Johnboy

I think I have the viewer lower left corner corrected. Other than that I think the dog is ready to drive home.

Post 2

Thanks.

Johnboy

Pat

He looks ready to roll.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

glennab

JB, you did a fine job on this little pooch. He is adorable.  When I look at him, all I can think is "cheesy smile!"

Sorry you couldn't upgrade and have to use Elements, but I've heard a lot of people say they use Elements, and that even though there are some functions that Elements doesn't have, it still works fine for the restorations. I hope you're finding that so.

Cheers,

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Thanks Pat, Margie, and Glenna. I think I hear the engine on that RV starting.

So far Elements has not been too bad. With this restore I as able to do everything I did with Photoshop CS. I don't get as many adjustments as in PS. Like all new software you have to hunt down where they put some of the features. Still working on that  on. I'll just have to work my way through new software.

Johnboy

glennab

Hi JB

I just happened to be watching a tutorial on a great way to make wonderful edges by using the refine edge menu by Lesa Snider on Facebook.  Lesa is a wonderful instructor.  I took a 4-day webinar on CS5 with her, and it was awesome.  She mentioned in the edge tutorial that if you go to Facebook.com/PhotoLesa, she has tutorials on Elements.  I recommend that you check it out, because Lesa has written some mighty fine Photoshop books, and she may have one or two on Elements.  Thought the tutorials and/or the books (if there are any on Elements) might help you get to know your software a little better.

Cheers
GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

GP

Hi Johnboy,

I hope I'm not to late for this thread. I use Photoshop Elements too, besides Photoshop. There is a wonderful site dedicated to just Photoshop Elements. If you sign up for $59/year you have access to an incredible abundance of video and written tutorials, and also a User Magazine. Here is the link http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/
The site has also a great Community Forum, very friendly people, ready to help.

But to come to my main point: there are actions available to install into Elements -> Grant"s Tools. Have a look here http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Challenge/Tools/index.html

And here is a thread discussing the installation of the tools into Elements 10: http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51319

One of the actions is Channels and also Channels Mixer.
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

Johnboy

Thanks Glenna and GP for the tips. I'll check them out.

Johnboy

P.S.  The dog made its way home and Jonas says it looks fine.