• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A Tribute to A Special Small Fur Person

Started by glennab, June 22, 2012, 01:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

I'm posting a special tribute to my precious little Sara cat, our tiny fierce survivor of a vicious poisoning by antifreeze nearly 10 years ago. We lost her last week when she took the last breath of what must have been at least her 29th life.

A nasty neighbor decided to get rid of the neighborhood strays by setting out antifreeze and killed at least one cat - possibly as many as 5.  Somehow Sara survived, which my vet said was very rare, as antifreeze destroys their kidneys.  He warned me that even if I kept her secluded from the other cats (I had 11 other rescues) and fed her a special diet, I couldn't expect her to survive more than another year.

She was very lonely, so I decided that quality of life was more important than quantity, and I let her out with the rest of the pride.  She thrived.  She had a protector and honey-bunny who was by her side until he died three years ago. Amazingly she outlived her son, her daughter, three of her grandsons and all but 3 of the other rescues.  We think she made it to about 13+ when she died in my arms.

I created the art below in her honor and the photo is of her (she's the black cat) and Sniffles, her snuggle bunny. May she have a peaceful journey, and I hope she's with the rest of the pride, especially her beloved Sniffles.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Pat

Glenna, thanks to your loving care, little Sara enjoyed 10 additional years and the devotion of Sniffles.  Having firsthand experience of losing our own beloved pet from cancer, my heart goes out to you.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Candice

What we do for the animals in our lives.   :loveit:  She's playing once more!
Candice

Marydh

Glenna,
As you know, pets give us so much more than we give them.  I'm so sorry for your loss
but I'm sure Sara was so thankful to have you.  I'll never understand how some people
can be so cruel.
Mary

Mhayes

GK, Sara was a special cat that got to live the good life thanks to you. The sad part is that we only get to enjoy our pets for a brief time, but they so enrich our lives.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tess (Tassie D)

So sorry Glenna. Its so hard to say goodbye to our beloved pets. If only all the humans in the world could be like them.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

glennab

Ladies, thanks so much for your kind words.  It is so sad that people can be so cruel.  When the cats were poisoned I thought it would kill me.  I couldn't believe the ugliness that it brought out in a lot of people.  But there were wonderful neighbors who helped us, as well.  And I've adored all of my rescues.  Sara was so dear.  She was very small, but when she wanted something, she had a very LARGE voice.

I hate that we outlive them, because the past 3 years have been hell.  I lost 5 within a month of each other (we have no idea of the cause), and then last year we lost two more.  So I have Sara's two remaining grandsons, who are more than 12 years old, and Smoke, IM's beloved 15-year-old.  I try not to think about losing them.  At least they've all been loved and cherished, and I could write a book about the crazy things they've done to make us laugh over the years.

I can picture them all together now, having a great time the way they did when they were kittens.  And they'll be waiting for the last three.  They'll have brothers, sisters and cousins to show them around. And we'll be so glad to have had them while they were here.
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)