• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

HACC ~ Bromawell Certificate

Started by Candice, June 02, 2012, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Candice

Bambi

The original doesn't show here, but the WIP looks great to me.

Bambi

Candice

Decisions Decisions
Candice

glennab

Candy, you're doing such a beautiful job on these certificates.  I hope that one day you'll explain what you do to get them from the original disaster to the beautiful finished image.  I'm curious whether you have to reset any of the copy or whether you're able to use what's there.  How do you get such perfect backgrounds? You're definitely our document expert.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

G3User

I agree with GK, great job and I wondered the same thing. :wnw:

Only suggestion is to perhaps back off the clouds or whatever you have used for the variation a whisker. Switching the layer on and off is a good test, it should make a subtle difference rather than grab you.

Athol

Candice

In answer to your questions, Glenna sometimes is it a painstaking labor of luv. Yes, sometimes I can resent the copy IF the font is a common font used during WWII, which of course it isn't more times than not.  However, I do have a lovely collection of fonts because of working with documentations and a note pad. If I can rebuild I use the note pad to keep notes of what type was used where and the size.  Again it depends on the document.  Sometimes it is just putting one foot in front of another and working around each letter.  It helps that my screen is large enough to do that. I keep one picture open at 100% while working on the other at 300/400%.

Anthol, I don't usually use clouds but I have on some of these.  However, I have a lovely collection of  documentation backgrounds.  Many can be found IF you have the right word to put into the search.  I get lucky a lot of times by using the right question in my searches.

Sometimes I write to the places that gave the certificates and look for a better emblem.  That's hit and miss, too.  I asked on all of these and nada!  So I just had to scour the internet. (Thank God for the internet!!)

There one thing with documents that is difficult and that is deciding what color of background was the original.  Often the damage, even after the first steps of correction leaves you with something that you're just not sure of.  If you have any hints about that I'd love to read them.

I don't think I'm an expert at all.  There was someone, also in OPR that did excellent work on documentation.  It's been a while but, I remember seeing his work.  Past that it's a lot of butt sitting time.  Something we all are familiar with, in here.

And Glenna, I've seen your current picture.... ouch!

Well, that's about it. Now you know a little more of what I do. Lastly, sometimes you just have to let the powers-that-be make the choice on the last say, so you send in more than one.
Candice

glennab

Candy, thanks for taking the time to explain how you get these documents to look so wonderful when the originals are damaged as badly as they are. I'm in awe of your mastery of the process!

Yes, about my current restoration.  Hubby has given me grief every day about taking that one. It's - as they all are - even worse than I thought it would be - and I knew it would be a mean one from the start, but I really think I can finish it with just great-grandma.  So I continue to push my pixels and hear "what were you thinking?" - both in my head and from my beloved. It's what I do.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

G3User

Thanks also Candy. Like most experts, you have a kit of tools which you have accumulated over time. I have used textures off the web a few times, one of the most versatile was a concrete wall. Funny what works sometime.

Maybe when I am brave I might try a document to see how I go

Athol