• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Cook Portrait

Started by david_gr, June 12, 2012, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

I need some help with this one.  It looks pretty good except for his right ear and glasses.  Help!

Original

Where I am right now

Problem area

I have looked for something I could copy and use with no luck.  His ear appears small and round.  I might try multiplied layers but I have to take a break before I make it worse.  I know I have some work to do on his collar which should not be a problem.

David Gr

Bambi

You picked a great place to stop! There's just a little bit more detail in the Yellow Channel of the original. I know we don't transplant body parts, but you might be able to use the Luminosity of another ear—just the tiny part that's missing— and Free Transform it to fit.

Bambi

david_gr

Thanks Bambi.  :up: That helps a lot.  I did not think to look at the channels in a black and white photo.  Now I see why you all recommend we use a black and white filter instead of converting the file to a black and white.

David Gr  :)

Candice

I didn't find the glasses that this young man has one but here is a great source for the shape of the lens. 

These all happen to have no ear pieces.  It was a particular style around the 1930s.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pince-nez/with/4374269903/
Candice

jesterjeni

his frame is there....kinda this is what I came up with

david_gr

Well, Folks This is about as good as I can do with this one.  I'm afraid if I work on it more I will make it worse.

schen

David,

You might have extended his brow a little long.  Here is what I see in the original.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

glennab

Just a quick comment, since I had to create a complete ear in my "unrestorable."  I keep folders of reference images that I gather from stock photo vendors.  Even though they have copyright stamps across them and they aren't high resolution, we don't copy directly from those images anyway.  It's amazing how different ears are from one person to another, and I've had to recreate several over the years with absolutely no information - I use my reference photos to get an idea of how to build something credible.  I also have samples of hair, baby shoes (that was for a particular restoration), and I'll go out and hunt for anything that I'm having issues with. At least I can look at them and get an idea of shapes and shading.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)