• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

DiBacco Pic Help

Started by THImages, May 25, 2012, 12:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THImages

Hello everyone. I have been working on this picture for a while now and could really use some feedback.  In particular, I was wondering about the area circled in pink.  I'm not sure if what I have done is a good enough fix and am not sure how to go about getting it better.  Any feedback or help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Tara

glennab

Hi Tara

You've done a lovely clean-up on this image.  I do think you need to try to work the area you've circled so that it has a more defined edge and the pattern is more vertical to match the rest of the dress.

My concern is also that the photo is so blown out in places.  You can only do so much to overcome that when it's in the original, but if you use a 50% gray layer on top of the final, set to overlay, and then brush in 10% black with a light touch and a large brush, you can at least bring out more detail in the women's faces. The young man is pretty good as he is.  The older man could use just a touch more detail.  I tried to get more of the dress detail with little luck. Perhaps someone else has a better way to do that (I tried duplicating the layer and multiplying it, and it just made mud), or it may be that since the information isn't there, you may have to leave the dresses with the little detail that they have.

The only other thing that struck me is that the bottom right corner seems darker than it does in the original. I started to comment on the spot on the woman to our left's foot and then realized that she's wearing an anklet.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

THImages

Thanks for help GK!  I will definitely give your suggestion a try.  I really appreciate you taking the time to write back..thanks again.

Tara

Mhayes

Hi Tara,

You have done a great job on the cleanup. I agree with GK about the photo having places that are blown out and that is most likely because of a flash--notice the tell tale shadows behind the man--and the camera balancing out the shadows to the determent of the highlights.

GK's suggestion for using a 50% gray is good and really helps when you only want to touch up certain areas. Another way I like and it is fast, but you will need the use of a layer mask to keep from making the rest of the photo too dark. I always duplicate my original layer, corrected on this one with a Layers Adjustment for each channel and then did a "Merge Visible." I duplicated that and change the mode to "Multiply" and reduced the opacity.

Her jacket looks rather a drity gray with the color I sampled on the original which looked a combination of yellow and white---this needs more work.

When you post your work, it would be better if you keep it as a jpg and the original color profile of sRGB. What you uploaded for the original was  a Gif and the restored was a ping. Both of these when downloaded will give a message of: The RGB document has a file format that does not support embedded color profiles. I always make a copy of my work that I will post and reduce the resolution from the original 300, but save as a jpg.

Hope that helps.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

THImages

Thanks Margie!  Any thoughts on the area circled in pink? Do you think it needs improving? If so, any thoughts on how to do that?  Bambi thought it could use some more work but the best I was able to come up with is what you see in the picture I posted.  Suggestions?  Thanks.

Tara

Mhayes

Tara, I really don't notice the flower as much since it is grouped with so many others around it.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

As far as the flower goes, it just seems to be grainier and less defined than the others. You can cover that with one of your replacement flowers.

I was concerned with the light discoloration on the sleeve and the lightness of the top of the dress compared to the skirt. Might be just the harsh flash.

Bambi