• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello from Oklahoma!

Started by sooneramy, May 22, 2012, 04:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooneramy

While watching HLN this morning, I saw a story on the one year anniversary of the Joplin tornado and the rebuilding efforts. They did a segment about Operation Photo Rescue and I immediately googled it and signed up :) Being from Oklahoma, I know all about the damage these storms can cause and the devastating effect of lost or ruined photos.

I worked as a project manager and design consultant for an Architectural Signage company for 10 years and took a few Photoshop courses at our local community college to help me in that area. I'm now a stay at home mom, but those classes have sure been useful!

I'm thrilled to be helping such a worthy cause, and look forward to learning all I can.

Amy

Pat

A warm welcome from Michigan; we are so glad you have decided to join us!   

You will find friendly volunteers from around the world waiting to share tips and techniques, so don't hesitate to post your work in progress on the forum if you have any questions or need help.  We all learn from each other here, and with your experience I'm sure you will have a lot to offer us as well.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Hi Amy,

We're so glad you watched the HLN report and decided to join OPR, welcome to the forum from Amsterdam!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

Hi, Amy,

A big welcome to OPR from sunny Las Vegas. I have learned more from our experts on Forum than I learned in classes or Photoshop World. Their skills, innate talent and extraordinary generosity makes this a very special place. And the feeling of bringing a damaged memory back to life just can't be described. We look forward to seeing your work on Forum.

Bambi

8)

sooneramy

Thanks for the welcome!

I've been reading some of the posts in the Easy/Medium/Hard areas of the forums and I can tell I'll learn a lot! I've been very impressed with the feedback given and look forward to getting some of my own :)

Mike S.

Another hearty welcome from Michigan Amy,

Very pleased you have joined.  Your experience with Photoshop will help.  Keep an eye on the Forum as Hannie, Bambi and Pat have pointed out you can learn a lot from the tips you will see there.  When you are logged into the Forum if you look to the upper left you will see two handbooks, 1) Navigating OPR and 2) Techniques Handbook.  They are worth the read

Again thanks for joining,

Mike
Mike S.

brucemcdermott

Hi Amy,

I too am a recent new joiner to OPR from the Sooner state.  I missed the Joplin television segment this morning; however, as a fellow Oklahoman, we both know what weather can do to our lives!  I joined OPR because I could not imagine what it would be like to have photographs that were captures of times and places long past that were damaged to distraction.  For me this makes a few hours a week/month a worthy investment in OPR.

Carry on!

Hannie

Welcome to the forum Amy!
I had to look up what Sooner State means and that search led me to read a very interesting history about the native population and the first settlers.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

sooneramy

Ah yes, we have quite the rough and tumble history :) My maternal great-great grandparents were part of the land run. Some of the farms in our family have a "Centennial Farm" signs. My paternal side of the family was Native American. I'm a cowboy AND an Indian!

I've read through the two handbooks and though I'm sure I'll need some guidance, they were both very helpful :)  I have my first photo and am going to go post in the "Moderate" forum and hopefully get some advice on what is best in that particular situation.

Thanks again all, for the warm welcome :) I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Mhayes

Hi Amy, welcome to OPR! I just got back from Joplin and was there with Robin Meade when they did the filming. I'm so glad you got to see it as it was broadcast at 5 a.m. and 7 a.m. CDT. What I wish would have happened is that all three of us would have had our interview connected. Thad Beeler, is head coordinator at the First Baptist Church, where all the lost photos were brought in. Nanda Sparks, found her photos (one wrapped around a pole) and called Lost Photos of Joplin to see who she could pay to restore her photos. She was told about us and that it was free.

Thad's interview was great and you got the feeling how overwhelming a job it was to copy over 30,000 displaced photos and put them in boxes with a specific number for each one. They are also saved to thumb drives and on an external hard drive. Parts are shown on Flckr and on Facebook. Now copies of all of them are in notebooks that are shown at the Joplin Public Library on certain dates.

While I also was interviewed and either the camera broke or they didn't have a spot---I was happy that Nanda's interview was shown. HLN was great to work with and a week before the interview we discussed who to bring in and also uploaded their before/after photos to be shown. Those photos tell the story.

If you ever have a chance to volunteer on a copy run, take it and you will gain so much! Plus, I always encourage volunteers to be a contact person if a disaster hits in your neighborhood.

Hope to see more of you on the forum.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Hey Amy.... Okie here too!   :loveit:
Candice

sooneramy

:hug:

Hello KlassyLady25!