• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

U.S. Army Ordinace School

Started by Candice, May 20, 2012, 01:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

This is my present project. 

I am on the lookout for a certificate that I can get that lovely crest from.  If not I'll work with what I have.

Here's where it stand tonight.
Candice

Tess (Tassie D)

It's looking beautiful Candy. There's a better copy of the badge here. Not very large though.
http://www.whshistoryproject.org/ww2/Images/mr_gorman/certificate.jpg
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Tess (Tassie D) on May 20, 2012, 03:47:19 AM
It's looking beautiful Candy. There's a better copy of the badge here. Not very large though.
http://www.whshistoryproject.org/ww2/Images/mr_gorman/certificate.jpg

Thanks for the crest Tess.  I was also able to find this one off a 1943 letter head.  I've also written to the U.S. Army Ordnance Corp asking if they have a crest that they might be able to share. (http://www.goordnance.army.mil/contact.html)

We'll see what happens.

http://wwiiletters.blogspot.com/2009/08/ordnance-school-aberdeen-proving-ground.html

Candice

Candice

Here's where it stands.

Candice

G3User

A couple of thoughts Candy

The printing is not Black black as I suspect the original would have been.

Also the paper looks too flat, perhaps a soft light layer filled 50% grey and set to soft light. The use render, clouds and back off to 20-30%  to provide some sudo random variation in brightness.

Didn't try but a small amount of noise may also help

Good job with the gold, I think it is the worst colour to try to recreate

Athol

Candice

Athol, your suggestion taken on top picture.  The bottom picture was the one posted earlier for contrast. 

Here's were it stands now.

Candy
Candice

glennab

Hi Candy

I see you've done your usual stellar job on the certificate.  My question is probably more for admin than for you.  Wouldn't it be likely that the original certificate would have the entire gold stamp (for lack of a better word) attached than for it to be cut off? On the original it appears to have been folded a little and the edge of the paper looks to be in pretty bad shape as well.  I can't imagine that only part of the stamp would have been attached to the original.  Just checking.

Cheers

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

I wondered about that Glenna and it's easy enough to fix.  Let's see what the powers that be say and then I'll change it, or I should say, I'll have it changed and if they agree then it will be ready!   ::)
Candice

glennab

Candy, fortunately, if the whole stamp is needed, at least it's a quick fix. I can always go for those!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Pat

Candy, you're doing a great job on this.

The family presented the certificate in an old wooden frame and unfortunately we were unable to remove it for copying.  Otherwise you would be able to see the entire gold seal.  Below is the file before it was cropped.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Candice

Thank you Pat.  It was an easy enough fix.  What think ye now?

Candice

glennab

Pat, it would seem to me, then, that the entire certificate would have been a standard size, either 8x10 or 8-1/2x11.  Could a margin be added equally around the certificate to allow it to be a standard size, making room for the stamp?

I see that Candy posted already.  That still leaves my question.  If the certificate is to be framed again, it should be a standard size.  So I'll ask the same thing that Candy did: what think ye now?

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

If the certificate is to be framed again, I can double the layer,  then resize the top layer giving it a 1/2 boarder for framing.  That's what I would do.   

Again, an easy fix.  I haven't finalized it so you can see the edges, but you get the drift. See below:

Candice

Pat

I think that would be wonderful Candy!  The finished file including border would have to be the standard 8x10.  I can see you have no problem accomplishing that.

Please be sure to get final approval from Bambi as this came from her gallery.

Really nice work Candy :up:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Candice

Pat what you are viewing is the original size.  I'll finish it up and send it on after posting the final here and getting the "green" light to do so.  :)

Candice