• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A Return to Joplin

Started by Mhayes, May 19, 2012, 04:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

This coming Monday I will be returning to Joplin, MO to mark the 1 year anniversary of the Joplin tornado. At 3:30 p.m. I will be meeting with Pastor Thad Beeler and Nanda Sparks to be interviewed by Robin Meade with Headline News (HLN) http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/morning.express/index.html

The interview will probably air Tuesday morning. It will show the joint effort of Lost Photos of Joplin and the First Baptist Church in Carthage, MO in starting a rescue to collect, clean and catalog the lost photos from the tornado and Operation Photo Rescue's restorations. Nanda will show her restored photos and tell about her experience of having their home destroyed by the tornado.

The effort to find and reunite photos first started on Facebook with founder Angela Walters of  Lost Photo of Joplin. Later the partnership turned into a nonprofit organization: National Disaster Photo Rescue. While their name is very close to ours, their mission is to save and return photos to their owners. This is specially important with disasters like tornadoes where photos are blown miles from their homes.

Below is the press release from National disaster Photo Rescue and note that OPR is listed as being at the Joplin Public Library on Tuesday May 22. We hope to have a close partnership with them in the future as we share a goal in preserving photos from a disaster.

A look back 1 year ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXjiWaQBXjs&feature=player_embedded

Also planned on Tuesday May 22:

QuotePLEASE RESHARE. HELP US GET 1,000 CANDLES LIT FOR JOPLIN! Please consider lighting a candle at 5:41 pm in your home or front porch to honor those lives that were lost and were affected on May 22, 2011. The tornado hit at 5:41pm. We are asking that folks upload photos her...

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Margie,

I can't believe is has already been a year, time sure flies.
Thanks for posting the links, that is quite an impressive video.
Hope your interview on Monday will go well, thanks for all that you do!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]