• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Security problems with Adobe products version 5 and earlier:

Started by glennab, May 15, 2012, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

This is what I posted in an earlier thread:
I just discovered (and you all might take note of this if I haven't already mentioned it) that Adobe 5 and earlier versions have a problem with tiff files. I lost about 10 hours on my tsunami restoration because what they sent me was a tiff, and I assumed they were safe to work on.  My files became corrupt, and even the back-up files were corrupt.  I contacted Adobe, and they refused to acknowledge that they had a problem with tiffs. My files were irretrievable.  I just found out through one of my professional Facebook groups that there is, indeed, a problem with tiffs.  At first Adobe was insisting that in order to fix the problem, one had to purchase either PS 5.5 or 6, at a cost of $199. There was such an uproar over that, that they're now providing a patch to correct the problem for free. My passport photo that I scanned for the Mothers' Day thread was scanned as a tiff, because that's the highest quality file I can scan.  My computer went berserk.  I couldn't rename my file; I couldn't change it to a psd.  I finally had to restart before the glitch went away.  So tomorrow, I'm going to find out where to get the patch and load it.  And I'd recommend that you all do the same thing.  I'll make a new post about this as well, so that no one misses it.  I'll find out how to get the patch before I post any more about it, because I'm not positive that it's available yet.  My pals in the Photoshop and Lightroom group will know, and I'll pass on the information.

I tracked it down:

Security problems with Adobe products versions 5 and earlier.  This is what MacWorld reported.  Evidently the patch isn't available yet.  I've had two instances of problems with tiff files and have lost hours of work because of this.  Here's the article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166779/adobe_will_issue_free_security_patches_for_high_profile_creative_suite_apps.html

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)