• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Shepherd Wedding Cake

Started by david_gr, May 02, 2012, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

Here is the Shepherd wedding cake and where I am at with it.  It is more of a challenge than I originally thought but what the heck. I am plugging away at it.  I figured you might want to see where I am with it.

So here is the original:

This is my work in process:

There was a lot of damage to left side (looking at it), so I took the top ribbon and lattice on the right, copied it and flipped it horizontally.  I think it will look better once I am done cleaning it up. 

Let me know if there is anything I can do to make this a better restoration.

David Gr  :)

Bambi

Looks great, David. Beautiful work on the repairs. I'd like to see a little more mid-tones in the cake, if possible. The fern leaves look pretty black in the original and I know dark green often goes black on film, but maybe a teensy bit less blue and a little more yellow to warm it up a little. Little things only. You've done a very good job.

Bambi

Mhayes

David, beautiful job and other than Bambi's suggestions what I notice is that the red bell on your left has been partially cut off at the bottom.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Small pick - the mirroring of the lattice is pretty obvious (see how which slat is on top changes from one side to the other). Might be better to just slide your patch to the viewer left rather than flip it. That would be more work with the ribbon, etc., but would look more natural.
<C>

david_gr

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Here is what I have so far. 

Lurch, I have made a lot of changes to lattice so I don't think the flip is as obvious as it was.  That and the light fading a little to as it goes to the edges made me think this would be a better way to go.

Bambi, I darkened the photo over all with the mid setting in levels to bring out the detail on the cake.  When I tried to use a multiply effect on specific areas of the cake, it changed the color on me.

Margie, I got the bell back. 

I guess that's it.  Please let me know if there is anything more I can do with this.  Sorry, it took so long.  I have been volunteering at the local library.  I keep busy with yard work (about 9 acres worth), around the house, and volunteering and I'm loving it.

David Gr  :)

Mhayes

David, Yeah for the Bell! I think it is looking good!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]