• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

School Girl

Started by Johnboy, April 28, 2012, 06:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

I have had this one for what seems like forever. Some of the forum members may recall a few years ago the problems presented with the textured paper with all its highlights etc. This had that and more. I think it was printed on what is called Silk textured paper. Therefore you have  a surface that looks like silk cloth. When it was photographed it got its share of specular highlights along with the photos damage.

I forget who was complaining about all the spotting she had to do on a restore a few months ago. I think I have her beat.

Thank you Tess for being patient with me. I have had some heath issue since the first of the year (looks like things are going in the right direction for now), and to top it all off my computer's Ethernet quit working. I have a new computer but also have software issues which will get worked out later.

Anyway back to the restore. As you see in the restored photo it is not complete. Everything is done except the torn off emulsion at the top, and the yellow stain on the viewers right.

My questions there are:

1. I originally thought I could just copy part of the background to cover the top portion of the tear. Viewing at 300% I noticed what looks like flowers beyond the edge of the tear (on the girl's right). So there maybe more flowers attached to this head piece. Can someone check with the family to see if this is so, and perhaps get another photo the shows the whole thing? (Maybe good enough to copy parts. Wishful thinking.)

2.  I had similar thoughts for the hair area in front of the hair piece. On further examination there appears to be a bow or something like a bow sticking out from the edges of the tear. So again my question from above.

In the meantime good eagle eyed forum members, look over the rest of the restore and let me know what you think. You will notice some white streaks at the bottom above a "shelf." I am thinking those streaks are reflections from the white surface. The background could be laminated or behind plexiglass or glass to render the reflection.

Original

Restore so far

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

kiska

Hey, Johnboy. I really think the "flower" is damage. Here's a quickie.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Johnboy

Thanks Kiska, how about a tut on what you did?

If you only look at the dark spot, yes, it looks like damage. Looking closer it looks like a daisy to me.

Johnboy

Pat

Hi Johnboy,

It's great to see you back on the forum; you've been missed!  

The white streaks don't look like damage to me.  I would guess as you say, that it is reflection from the white shelf.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Hi Johnboy,

Lovely restore! 
I also believe that the white thingy is damage:  look at everything that should be white in this photo and you will notice that it has turned very yellow.  The thingy is very white so I think it is not part of the photo?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

These are the steps after levels and curves:

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Johnboy

Thanks Kiska. I'll work on this later in the week.

Johnboy

Mike S.

Good to see you back Johnboy.  Hope you are feeling well.

Mike
Mike S.

glennab

Hi, JB

I've been missing in action, too.  I hope you're doing much better.  I'll make a deal with you.  I'll perk up if you will.  We've been shoring each other up for quite a while now.  Time to get back to that routine, dontcha think?  I've had about a 2-year struggle with one thing or another.  Nuff's nuff!  I miss my OPR pals!  Chin up, my friend!

Hugs!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Johnboy

Thanks again Kiska for the direction. I may not have followed exactly what you did but I think I have a similar result. Any way I hope this young lady is ready to go home. She has been residing in my computer too long. There were many times I was ready to give up. It seemed I would fix one thing and find more to do. I thought the wedding couple I did a couple years ago was tough, but this one has that one beat.Take a look and let me know what you think.

Original

Post #2

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

P.S. Thanks for the well wishes. Glenna I agree nuffs, nuff!! That should not stop you from commenting on the restores even if you aren't doing one. You have always had good insight.

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro