• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Is this one okay so far? Sugguestions welcome

Started by battleaxe, May 22, 2012, 03:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

battleaxe

Is this one okay so far?  Don't think I can get closer in detail on the face.  Not sure what to do for the rest of the head. 
Think I should darken  most of the glare on the left side of the face...
Haven't started on the clothes yet.

Suggestions welcome

Johnboy

I think you have done great so far. You might try blending the damage edges with the good skin on the face. The Healing brush may be of some help or the Patch tool. Maybe a slight burn in the light areas of the skin to give them some feel and to match up with the rest of the face. Perhaps a light burn on the hair or pick up the hair color from the back of her head and paint in over the damage. Of all that I suggested I would definitely try the blending of the damage edges with the good skin. This is a retouching trick on portraits to smooth out the shadows with the highlights on the face. The whole idea is to break up the harsh line. I would suggest doing any of these on a separate layer except the Patch tool which has to be done one a background copy.

Good luck.

Johnboy

battleaxe

jesterjeni

I used the information the picture already held...played with it a little, its not as female as yours appears but I did not have the heavy shadow on the face...I copied and pasted pieces from the good side of the face to fill it in...this is my result..

battleaxe

here is another try...

I tried to keep the left side as close as possible to what I see.   Must admit the hair/top head part is not quite there.  I also used a little of the right side to add texture to the face  and more of an outline of the left eye.

What channel did you use jesterjeni ?   I'll redo using it. 

Thanks for your help

jesterjeni

here is the funny thing.....I went completely old school on this...I simply didn't change anything about the original...I copied the good parts of the right side and transferred them to the left, I smudged and used content aware to fill in I also used the good skin to take the shine from the forehead ....when I was finished...I used auto color which gave me the result that you see! I toyed with it using different methods...but this seemed to look the best..as far as the hair I did use the burn tool a touch just so the little tyke had something on top of her head ...I knew that it was way off, but I was trying to correct the tone more than anything else...I think that you have done a wonderfull job with such a difficult picture!

glennab

Quick question: Is there any reason that you can't "borrow" her features from the good half of her face, distort them to fit, and use that as a start to complete the missing side of her face?  There's a "template" underneath the muck to allow you to see the shapes, since each side would be a little different.  But I noticed that her eyes look to be a totally different depth of color, because of the damage, so it would make sense to borrow her good eye, reshape it, change the catch lights and use that.  Same with her mouth.  Use the shape from the right side - pick up the teeth from the left side.  You could even start with the shading on her good cheek and work from there to at least start with good skin from which to patch, heal and clone. That's where I'd start.  I might have to start over - there's always that possibility, but it's a suggestion.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

battleaxe

Here is the latest

I tried all suggestions.   Patching, cloning and borrowing, dodging and burining .  This is the latest I have come up with.

Looks spottier online.  On my screen everything looks blended.  Will work more texture into the forehead area and a bit more around the chin.

There ...a lot less spotty

glennab

Hi BA

It appears to me that you have everything you need in place re her skin.  The big job now is to get it all blended in, smooth and shaded. I suspect your best friend now is going to be the patch tool to get her forehead textured.  Even if the color isn't exactly right, if you pull good information from her cheeks and then worry about the shading once the texture is there you should be set. Ditto her chin and her arm. I noticed that a few posts down JesterJeni did a beautiful job of picking up the pattern in her dress.  I'd definitely find out how she did that.  (Maybe a copy of the other side and flip horizontal?)

You've made so much progress on a real bear.  Kudos on a great job!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

jesterjeni

yes, you guessed it. it was the old flip and match! I tried to get it as realistic as possible, that seemed to be the best way