• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

MoeK29_25_4X6.JPG

Started by G3User, April 22, 2012, 11:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

Still a WIP but getting nearer

Any suggestions about his face. Even though overexposed I suspect a more natural colour would help and I am playing with multiple versions. There is a little more information in the blue chan but creating a natural but overexposed look is proving a challenge.

The face in the WIP has only had a colour change, eyes, lips and teeth are unchanged

Thanks

Athol

Mhayes

Athol,

It's looking good and I agree about overexposed and his face seems to be mainly yellow. First I played around by duplicating the later and having that layer at multiply. That didn't help the face, but it did help with his graduation gown. I'm wondering if you could (even on a separate copy) work on the face by using the blue channel for the B/W and use some of the tips on the recent posts and the link BJTX posted.

It's great to see you having fun.  ;) We got more like em in the hold.
Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks Margie,

For his face I have been trying both multiply of the original and using the blue chan, multiply seem to be best. I have taken a hue from something like his hand.

I hadn't thought to treat his gown as well so will have a look

You will be pleased to know that is is a wet day here and some of us have been beavering away while you slept :halo:

Athol

Mhayes

Hey not so fast Beaver Man---I'm still up! His face is looking a lot better and you have to consider maybe the original didn't have good skin color because of the flash blowing the highlights out.

Carry on Woodchuck, I mean Beaver.  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

What a great job!
The face looks better than it did in the original, I'm sure it was over exposed.
If you like to brighten up the skin color some you could add a Selective Color adjustment layer. 
In the whites lower the cyan a fair amount and increase yellow a little, I made sure the whites of the eyes and the teeth were masked out.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

I realize the flash has blown out the color of the gown. But I bet this guy would love to see himself NOT in a pink one. 8) Plus the woman off his left shoulder has a deep red on.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

bjtx

Athol, your work is looking nice.  I really like the way you cropped the image.  That made an overall improvement.  :up2:

BJ (only a viewer of MASH - never had a part  :( )
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

G3User

Thanks everyone.

I suspect that I will work on his face to see how far I can get to eliminate the overexposure and then adjust his gown so it looks compatible and not pink. Thanks Kiska.

I would like to get some tonal variation in his face Hannie but the sun is out today so I think a rest day is indicated

Glad you liked the crop BJ, it allowed me to get rid of the area on the LHS which was unrecoverable. We are seeing MASH again with episodes not seen before and the residuals must be enormous

Onwards and upwards :)

Athol

Hannie

You better enjoy that sun while it is still there Athol!

You can try to increase contrast in the facial area with a curves layer:

(the red was increased separately)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

REDS are hard to work with.  Lovely work!
Candice

G3User

This should be nearer the money. I have left his robe looking like the flash caused over exposure and tried for a similar look to his face.

And REDS are hard work. I have been using the HSB display instead of RGB in the Info panel and am amazed at how critical saturation is.

What is the concensus ;)

Athol

Hannie

Beee-autiful!
Great job Athol.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Athol, this looks beautiful and stayed true to the original, but yet you improved it!  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Rockin the restoration again, Athol!

Bambi

G3User

Thanks all, sent it airmail.

Margie, the other "R" word was in my thoughts doing this. It had the most "R" of any I have done but glad it seemed to have worked

Athol