• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Resisting the urge to over restore

Started by Sonya K, October 12, 2006, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonya K

I have worked and reworked this photo over and over again to try and make it look as realistic as possible.
I didn't want it to look like any of the fixes were painted on or artificial, but it's tough to do when there was so much overall damage to the photo.
I want to do more work on the shirt, but in the same breath, I don't because I don't want to over do things.
Give me your thoughts and opinions please.....put me out of my misery  :D
Sonya

This last one, I added a curves adjustment layer and added a bit of darkness to it....any preferences?

Kenny

Sonya, I agree it's best not to over restore. You might try smoothing out his shirt a little. Try sampling some of the area to the right and use the healing brush to smooth out the texture damage on the brown parts especially. The face still shows some damage, but I think any further work will likely look over restored. Right now my eyes are drawn toward his shirt and that texture. I think doing a little work on that will help loads. Looks great, though  :up:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Sonya K

Thanks....that was my initial thought, but I didn't want to put the extra work into it if I was wrong.
It's always nice to have an extra pair of eyes to help.  :wnw:

Sonya

glennab

Hi Sonya

Have you tried using despeckle or dust and scratches on the original?  I've seen a technique in which you make a separate layer and soften it somewhat with those filters and then mask the areas that need detail to pick them up from the layer below.  I know there's a fine line, because you don't want to blur him too much, but it might bring the damage to a more manageable level. Not sure if opacity changes would help, but that's also worth a try.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Sonya K

Here's what I've come up with....

It's a little bit smoother, but still has some texture.
I've done the despeckle and dust and scratches...and cloning, healing, spot healing, patching, you name it, I've tried it

Kenny

Much better, Sonya!  :up:

I'm afraid this one will be one of the ones that will still have some damage. However, it's a far cry from what you started with and it looks fantastic!

One thing though ( you knew I was going to say that :P). There looks to be a bit too much contrast between the boy and the background. You might try using the blur tool set really small and just do the very edges to see if that helps. Still, he looks ready to go home to me :)

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Sonya K

When you're right, you're right.  I did use the blur tool on his outline and he looks much better.
And now he's on his way home.
Yeah!!  Another one done. 8)

glennab

Sonya

I'm glad you're comfortable sending this little guy home. You've definitely put heart and soul into his restoration.

Just FYI, another suggestion for blending any layer with a cut-out or mask with another (in Photoshop) is to go under the layers pulldown menu all the way to the bottom, use matting, defringe set at 1 pixel.  In most instances it smooths the transition very well, especially if there's a well-defined edge. I use that one at work a lot and think it's amazing. Saves a lot of time!

Best wishes,
GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Sonya,

Congratulations on taking on such a difficult job, I agree with the others, in this case it would be easy to over do it, as there is so little area undamaged, as it is all the character in the face shines through, and that could be so easily lost by trying to go to far.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!