• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Color Correction

Started by GP, May 17, 2012, 02:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Gerlinde, the hue/saturation is what gave you the great look.  I got baffled by "A" in Margie's enumeration of possible issues with this particular photo. Otherwise, we follow the same procedure for initial color correction.

The sign-in sheet pretty much tells the story.  Darn, guys.  Don't mess with a sort-of-recovering mucked up brain.  I don't have any sliders or eye-droppers to get it back in balance.

Bob, thanks for the link to Mary's web site.  She is a super star.  She once told me that when she was a teenager she was approached by Disney to be one of their artists.  I believe she said her parents thought she was too young, but can you imagine having that much talent?  She helped me with some of my tough restorations, and she always made it look so easy.  Not so much for me! But she taught me a lot. And she's a wonderful person.  IM and I were fortunate enough to visit her and her hubby Tom when we visited D.C. a few years ago.  We had a great time.  Love them to pieces.

Might we make this a no pin-cushion doll or muck machine zone for just a short time? Fifteen minutes?  Five?  Hannie, help me out here, please.  Never mind.  I'm talking to the wrong person.  Margie??????

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Candice

Quote from: bobbydazzler on May 17, 2012, 05:00:41 PM
Glennab I did a little search for ya.....

http://www.paintermagazine.co.uk/show_profile.php?username=Mary%20Schonher

Bob

My grand daughter, Cheyenne,  is almost 4 now, is in Mary's gallery:  Little Sis. 
Candice

glennab

Candy, I remember photos of Cheyenne when she was tiny.  How wonderful that Mary did the painting of her.  It's so lovely.  Do you have it?  What a treasure!

Haven't heard from you in years.  How are you?  Still in Oklahoma City?

Hugs from an old pal.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

bjtx

GP, I agree with your skin & gray background color corrections.  They look good in your post below
There are shadows in the white jacket, so it doesn't seem too white.

to the others who posted links ---  thanks!

BJ
(aka - Betty )  CS6, PS CC,  Win 8.1; 175+ restorations so far & hope to do more :) 
Favorite site http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/daily-dozen/

Candice

Glasses.... wow!

Great color change.  Working with skin tone is so subjective. 
Candice

GP

Thank bjtx and Candy!

I found an other great trick in Katrin Eisman's Third Edition of Restoration & Retouching to deal with a color cast like that.

I don't know if I can just write it down here without getting in trouble. It's called Color Correction with the Photo Filter ( pg. 115 for all who have the book).

The skin tones look even better after that.
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

Candice

I have her books and yes, it's a great lesson! 
Candice

Pat

GP and Candy,

Every once in a while I need a reminder to dust that book off and review some of the tutorials  :up: 

It was from the supplemental Web site www.digitalretouch.org  where you can download the images featured in the book enabling you to practice the illustrated techniques that I first learned about OPR.

Pat 
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

GP

I can only recommend to spend the money for her book. I always find myself reaching for the book when I run into a problem with my restoration. I have also the First Edition and they are different from each other. Different ways to deal with the same problems.

Mhayes

Ditto from me on Katrin Eisman's Third Edition of Restoration & Retouching. It's amazing that even with after the new versions of Photoshop, it is still relevant. I love the fact that you get the book and you can go online to do the exercises. The frosting on the cake is that when I went to her website I saw the link to OPR.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: glennab on May 19, 2012, 12:08:11 AM
Candy, I remember photos of Cheyenne when she was tiny.  How wonderful that Mary did the painting of her.  It's so lovely.  Do you have it?  What a treasure!

Haven't heard from you in years.  How are you?  Still in Oklahoma City?

Hugs from an old pal.

GK

I am still in Oklahoma City and enjoying life.  Here is a picture of Chayton and Cheyenne today.

And since we've last talked my son married and added to the family.  Meet Evie Grace. She is a little over 6 months now and was literally born during an earthquake, here in OKC. 

Time does keep moving.

Good to see you again.
Candice

GP

Here is the current version of my restore. I'm not sure if I like the more blue-ish background, gray looks better to me.
Any more suggestions what I could do better?

glennab

Gerlinde, I think I agree about the grey background.  I like the blue color, but the grey makes the couple stand out more, and that's the important thing.  It looks great!

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

GP

Thank you Glenna!

I made some small changes, I did not like the look of the right side (our right) suit lapel. It seemed to dark, and also the bow tie did not look good.
This is the final version I send home.