• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Baby in a yellow dress question

Started by sooneramy, May 23, 2012, 03:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooneramy

I'm brand new here and I have a question on my very first restore! Imagine that! Here is the original photo:

The dress and feet/shoes are completely gone. How much of this should I re-create? Should I go for something like this? (please note that this is INCREDIBLY rough and nowhere near done. I wanted to rough it out for example purposes)

Your advice is VERY appreciated!

Thank you for your help!

Amy

Pat

Hi Amy,

What a little cutie!  I'm sure you will be able to do a great job with it and the family will be so pleased to have this photo restored.   

We generally try to restore a photo as close as possible to the way it was before being damaged so we refrain from adding to or subtracting from the original content.  If you think of it as restoring a memory rather than retouching a photo you'll do okay.

The following two photos of this cute little gal may help as reference for the dress, particularly the sleeves as I think they are showing to be more puffed rather than capped.     

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Hi Amy,

Pat is right about not adding what is not in the original photo, because most of the time it is going to stand out as being foreign to the photo. The reference photo is good, but the orientation is totally different. If you are working in PhotoShot, go to your channels and click on the green channel as that is the best of the three. I did that and starting playing with it to get it dark enough that you could see how the booties look and how her legs are position. Guessing from the other photo, it looks like she is wearing leggings underneath her dress.

Hope this helps:

Footnote: Sorry, I took Pat's photo instead of yours which is totally different. On yours, I can't find her other foot?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

sooneramy

Yeah, I'm using PhotoShop and I couldn't find her other foot either. I'm improvising. Still rough and not finished, but what do you think so far?

Mhayes

I think better. I would be for shortening her dress and having the leggings showing. I also wonder if her booties are yellow, but don't know if this is a case of the yellow migrating.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

sooneramy

Her booties seem to be those white type shoes that parents would string a bell through the shoelace.

sooneramy

I think I'm getting close. Thoughts and suggestions?

To save scrolling, here's the original:

Here's what I've done:

The dress looks a lot blotchier here than it does on my monitor in PhotoShop. I'm not sure if the "save to web" feature is responsible for that or not. Is that a typical issue?

Thanks again for all your help!
Amy