• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello from Idaho

Started by miken13, March 13, 2012, 01:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miken13

Hello everybody,

I work in Boise, but live in a small town to the west.  I had the opportunity to participate in the photo restoration with ABC Extreme Makeover Home Edition several years ago.  Since then, I've always wanted to have the opportunity to help out like that again.

Looking forward to joining the group.

Mike N.

Mhayes

Hi Mike,

A warm welcome from Kansas. We are happy you have joined and hope to see a lot of you on the forum. that is really interesting about your participating in the photo restoration with ABC's Extreme Makeover--sad to see it end with Joplin. Tell us more about the photos you restored and the family's reaction.

I think this will be right up your alley and the neat thing is the variety of photos we get in. Some even take some researching for the history behind the photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Hi Mike and a warm welcome from Michigan! 

Thank you so much for deciding to come on board and give us a hand.  We look forward seeing more of you on the forum; it's a great place to get to know your fellow volunteers and share tips and ideas.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Hannie

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum!
I looked up ABC Extreme Makeover Home Edition but unfortunately on this side of the pond the videos will not play (copyright).
It sounds very interesting, where did the photos restoring come in?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

miken13

The ABC Extreme Makeover show was filmed in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.  The show was rebuilding part of a neighborhood and HP partnered to scan photos, restore them and print out new copies.  Essentially the same thing that OPR does, but a one-time event with corporate sponsorship.

I didn't work on any of the photos for the main family, but it was still cool to see the photos you unveiled on TV that you worked with. HP still has a site up about the effort.  One of my photos is shown on the site:  http://www.hp.com/digphoto/photography/us/en/before_after_10.html#pic

The main HP site on the operation is:  http://www.hp.com/digphoto/photography/us/en/index.html

Mike

Mhayes

Mike,

Thanks for the link and great that you got to help out in New Orleans. That is great you got to be a part of helping restore photos. Did you travel to New Orleans or was this like OPR that you downloaded photos to restore?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike S.

A warm welcome to Operation Photo Rescue and to the Forum Mike.

Thanks for the link on ABC Extreme Makeover with your and HP's part in restoration of the damaged photos.  Nice work.  You will fit right in and your incites are welcome.

Mike
Mike S.

Hannie

Mike, thanks for explaining that and the links, there were some beautiful restores.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

miken13

HP sent an SUV with scanning and printing equipment on site.  I wasn't part of the on-site crew.  They then arranged dozens of volunteers around the world to devote a work day to restoration.  We also had a couple days to finish things up, but everything had to back on site in New Orleans for printing before the big reveal at the end of the week.

I was very new to the process before that, but I learned a lot that week!  I hope I remember most of it.  I did buy a book a while ago that I think will be useful.  It is called "Digital Restoration From Start to Finish" by Ctein.