• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

NOT AGAIN!

Started by Mhayes, March 05, 2012, 01:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

As you are all aware, there have been deadly tornadoes that went through Kansas, Ohio, Indiana, Alabama, Kentucky, Ohio, and Missouri. Two of the states, Alabama and Missouri, suffered huge losses and deaths from last years tornadoes and to be hit again is heartbreaking.

When I heard of the tornado and destruction in Branson, MO my first thought was for Nanda S. as her family had rebuilt a new home there after having theirs destroyed in Joplin, MO last year. Her photos were the first to be restored and they were a rush order as we had a free lancer from California that wanted to do a story for the OWN (so far it is on hold) network. I sent her an email to see if she was OK and then when I didn't hear from her, I called her cell---no answer. After a day I really got worried and did a search of my emails to see if I had another contact number, I did and it was her mother. I called and got her and she said Nanda was in the basement and I thought they were in another storm. She was in the basement, but not because of any storm.

Nanda was so happy to hear from me and she wanted all of you to know how much your help means to others and how great that you have this kind of talent to give. She also wanted to get out the word that when you take shelter make sure you have shoes with good soles. When the tornado in Joplin hit they were in their stocking feet. They managed to find some shoes, but her husband had about 7 nails go through his soles and all of them had to go to the hospital for tetanus shots. Now they live in a house that has a basement and also the bathroom is a saferoom where spare shoes are kept. Not only were their nails everywhere, but also glass.

The tornado that ripped through Joplin brough back memories of Joplin and was emotionally hard on her. The worst part is that the tornado of last week came within a mile of their new home. It took out their Wal Mart and grocery store. I can't even imagine the stress of going though that again.

I told Nanda of our copy run to Hummelstown, but told her to let any of her neighbors that needed their photos done that it would be OK to scan as long as it was at 300 dpi and all the bells and whistles on the scanner was turned off. I will be getting more contact information off to her.

With all that has happened, I wish we could do more. I know that with one large copy run coming up in April we will have our hands full. We are limited on doing another copy run anytime soon, but if anyone is able to get photos to us on their own---We will always help.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jonas.Wendorf

Oh my god, those poor people!
I'm glad Nanda is good (more or less), hopefully there'll be less disasters in the future in that area.
I really wish we could do more for them, but I think it's great that you offered them to restore the photos they send to us although we unfortunately won't be able to make a copy run there.
Best regards,
Jonas

Pat

Every time we turn on the news it's like seeing the Joplin devastation all over again, and again.  A Weather Channel meteorologist said last night that we should expect more of the same if not worse over a longer than normal tornado season this year. 

It was so good of you to check on Nanda, Margie.  Thank you for the report.  It is wonderful to hear that she is okay.  I can't even imagine her horror at being faced with another tornado so soon after surviving Joplin.  Nanda gave very good advice about the shoes!  What is on your feet is not something you would normally have time to consider at the moment of having to dash for cover.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tori803

Nanda offers some good reminders. FEMA has a list of things to put aside for a disaster at http://www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit

You can also keep a backpack for each household member with a change of clothes and other necessities ready to grab.

Last April was a record month for tornadoes in the US (about 600 compared to an average of 180) and this year looks like it's shaping up the same way.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Pat

More great suggestions Tori, thank you!

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Johnboy

I an glad to hear that Nanda and her family are safe.

It was really scary and devastating to watch all of this on TV as the tornadoes went through southern Indiana, northern Kentucky, and southern Ohio. There was one small farming community in Indiana (reported population of over 400) that is totally gone as well as Moscow, Ohio. The tornado came to the Ohio River, skipped the river and slammed into Moscow with a direct hit. The other scary part is that a Duke Energy power plant (coal fired) sits next to Moscow but was reported to have some minor damage to one of the cooling towers. This was supposed to be a nuclear facility years ago. All of this was within a 100 mile or less radius from where I live.

My thought. Is there a document, web URL or something that can be shared with these people on how to preserve their photos as they cleanup? One of the first next day news casts I saw had three different shots of damaged photos or a photo album.

In the mean time our thoughts and prayers need to be with those who lost family and friends in the tornadoes, and with those trying to clean up and put their lives back together.

Johnboy

Pat

Johnboy, it's good to hear that you stayed safe during those storms! 

Damaged photos were mentioned in a majority of the news reports I've seen.  Following is a link to some tips posted a while back by Hannie, Margie and Tori on preserving damaged photos:

http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2739.msg25502.html#msg25502

Pat
Pat

Johnboy

Thanks Pat. I thought I remembered something was out there but had forgotten where to find it.

I live about 30 miles north of Cincinnati, Ohio. So we were well out of the path of that destruction which was about another 30 miles or so down I-75 from Cincinnati. We did get some rain during the day. Many high school and other school activities were canceled for Friday evening. The last home game for Miami University basketball was to be held Friday evening, and it was postponed to Saturday. So there was a lot of respect for the weather that was happening locally.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Johnboy, I'm glad to hear you were out of harms way. This evening I got a request from person in Moscow, Ohio that wanted to know if we could help. Right now we are stretched really thin for funding and enough volunteers to crank out the restores. Even if we can't travel to a disaster site, OPR can offer help and if there are volunteers that can find a way to copy photos for the owners and get them to us---we will help. The worst part about tornadoes is finding the photos and then the owners.

Tori, thanks for the great link for FEMA's list and Pat thanks for posting the other link on how to preserve photos.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]