• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hirshey family

Started by Johnboy, January 31, 2012, 01:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

I think this one is ready for a look see. The original looked liked someone dumped all their laundry lint onto the photo. I think I have all the spots and damage. I am sure you will let me know what I missed.

Note that dad appears to have part of his left lip missing. So what may look like damage is, I think, his tooth. This is more noticeable when the photo is  enlarged.

Original

WIP

Johnboy

Mhayes

Hi Johnboy,

Good call on the lip and you are right. I called the owner and she said that he did have a cleft lip. I think you have done a good job on the clean up. I would suggest that when you upload that you do one version in black/white (still in RGB mode) as I think the yellow is from age and perhaps water damage. Some photos are in sepia, but this one I do not think was.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks Margie. I am not sure what you mean doing a B&W version and keeping it in RGB. I am aware of the B&W Image>Mode and I am sure that is not what you mean. I am also aware from Katrin Eismann's book of using the best from Channels as a B&W. So I guess I am asking for some clarification and perhaps a tut if needed.

Thanks for the help.

Johnboy

Hannie

Hi Johnboy,

I think what Margie means is that you can upload a B/W version of your restore but don't use the Grayscale mode from the dropdown menu.  Stay in RGB mode, you can do that by adding a Channel Mixer adjustment layer and check the monochrome box.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks Hannie for the tip. I was quite sure that Margie did not mean Greyscale mode. After I posted my reply to her I was looking through the section in Katrin's book on converting color to b&w. I did see a section on Channel Mixer but have not taken time to read it. I'll see what I can do in the next couple of days.

Johnboy

Mhayes

Hi Johnboy,

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, use either the Channel Mixer and check the Monochrome box to get B/W or on CS5 you have a B/W Adjustment layer.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Johnboy

Thanks Margie. Hannie gave me a good direction. I really hadn't consider the Channel Mixer. I am stuck back on Photoshop CS so the Channel Mixer was my choice. Below I am only showing the two WIP versions since it was a color cast that was in question. The original is at the top.

WIP#1 is the one first posted above. WIP#2 is the one with the Channel Mixer with the Monochrome box checked.

WIP#1

WIP#2

Let me know what you think. Should I send both versions home or just #2?

Johnboy

Mhayes

Hi Johnboy, I personally like WIP#2 the best.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

I agree with Margie. The dark area in the front is a shadow, but I wonder if the darker area behind them on the tree is part of the damage. A new layer in Soft Light and a soft brush with white set at about 11 percent might blend it.

Bambi

Hannie

Hi Johnboy,

I also like WIP#2 the best.  I know this is an old photograph and we should be carefull not to change it too much but I wonder if a little contrast on the (whole) man and also the lady's face would be acceptable?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Johnboy

Bambi and Hannie thanks for your replies.

Bambi, I am going to disagree about the tree. To me is this were damage it would also be in the other trees in the background. I think is is a heavy shadow because it follows only the tree trunk. I have no idea what may be hanging from the tree or somewhere else to render a shadow. If it were damage it would also be on the top of the fence post. I am in favor of leaving it as it is.

Hannie, I can give the contrast idea a try on the man but I think the mother's face will go to dark on her left side. I sensed a need for something more in this photo. I tried saturation at the beginning but it made no difference. I did burn in the foreground shadow as it was grayed out in the middle and also a little on the back of the mother's hair. It looks to me that parts need help and other parts are OK. It may be just the photo.

Johnboy

lurch

I'm with Bambi about the tree. Note that there's an area of dark on the trees behind.
<C>

Johnboy

Lurch if this were damage I would expect it to cover the sky area too. It is only in the trees. In some ways it helps to focus on the family much in the same way you would darken the corners of a portrait to focus on the subject.

Johnboy

Johnboy

Following Hannie's suggestion of adding contrast, I added it to the whole man, mom's face (Hannie I stand corrected on the darkening of the face), and mom's hair. I also played a little with the left corner down to mom's right upper arm.

I am only going to show WIP #2 & 3. The original is at the top.

WIP#2

WIP#3

Let me know what you think.

Johnboy

lurch

Actually, the darkening does appear in the sky.
<C>