• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

After my holiday

Started by G3User, January 24, 2012, 02:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

Been absent for 6 months or so and my how things have changed.

Bambi sees to have acquired a supercharged version of Hannie's GRUNGE MACHINE and I am it it up to my neck. And my list of helpful hints seems to be missing.

I have flipped the lh side of the throne and used it to replace the rh side. Also cropped to eliminate the remaining damage on the rh side. Still have to resize it. OK?

The damage is in all sizes and on all channels. I have tried calculations in both RGB and CYMK modes but can't seem to find a significant improvement. Best so far seems to be smart blur to a modest level on a duplicate layer, then mask and brush through to get rid of the smallest spots. Clone stamp/healing brush on the larger patches and add some noise where necessary.

Suggestions please

Athol

brian

Hi Athol,

Welcome back from your holiday from  the Grunge Shop. I am fairly new to restoration
but as I was looking  at the  Forum before hitting the hay(  1200 am here in Canada) looks like we are still a  day behind Australia. It is just turning into Monday morning on this side of the world. I had a photo similar to the one you are working on called " Sandy Hair Girl" so I feel your pain. There maybe some help in that post for you.  Bambi had some good suggestions
for me.

Brian

Hannie

Welcome back Athol!

Never has my mucker upper machine worked as well as Bambi's, she is the master!   :wnw:

The only thing I can think of is to make a Dust & Scratches layer.  With the resolution of this posted photo I would use radius 1 pixel and threshold 35.  Then with a layer mask bring back some of the necessary highlights such as in the eyes, golden ornaments, stars.

This would get rid of a lot of the fine dust.  The important areas I would clean at pixel level and the not so important rest I would use another Dust & Scratches but with a layer mask to hide the important hand cleaned areas.

Beautiful repair work on the throne!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

lurch

May I add my welcome back to the others'? It's been a fast six months. Glad to see you return.
<C>

Mhayes

Welcome back Athol! It's great to have you back, missed your humor on the forum. I think you have done a great job so far.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Must have run this one through the Grunge Machine more than once! I am so thrilled to have you back, Athol, because no one else (including me) wanted to take this one on. So far you've done just what I would have on the throne. Good suggestions for the next steps. After you've removed as much damage as possible, a Color Layer might work to paint over the reds, whites and blues. Try setting it to Color mode and Soft Light to see which one looks best.

You are my personal hero for selecting this picture and I know the Sommers family will be amazed when they see the work you've done.

Bambi

G3User

Thanks Brian, aspirin helps but only sometimes.

Thanks Margie and and Lurch, I am still coming to terms with what I seemed to have forgotten :-\.

Hi Hannie, it has rained all day so I have made some progress. CS3 dust and scratches seemed to work better than  the other "noise" software I have and has helped. I am up to 25 layers and will probably keep it that way so I can do a final juggle of the parts before merging. I do appreciate the training you gave Bambi though it doesn't appear that you warned her about the consequences of excessive grunge

I thought I might as well get back into a difficult one Bambi but you may not appreciate what a risk you were running presenting a thumbnail which concealed the true condition of the image. You should check with Hannie, you have redeemed yourself with flattery, this time. ::)

Rain again tomorrow so we will see where we get to

Athol

G3User

I have lost count of the number of layers, most of the areas are on separate layers so I still have to do a merge and blend the edges.

I have still to sort out how best to tidy up the girl's jacket and hair and, surprisingly, there are still MORE spots. Suspect they will never end so there are no prizes for finding any :)

Think it is going OK but need an "eagle eye" check

Athol

Hannie

Great job Athol. no spots left!

The girl's jacket is such a mess.   What if you do a fairly strong dust & Scratches and heal the big spots that are left over.  Then you can burn the lighter areas and bring back the color in a color layer.  It would still need some healing afterwards and perhaps even a Reduce Noise filter. 
In my example I did not do a very good job but if you take a little more time if could look presentable.

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks Hannie,

Did the Dust and Scratches but then applied a fairly heavy Unsharp mask which gave her top some texture as an alternative to adding noise.

Reasonably happy with the result, is she set to go?

Athol

glennab

Hi Athol

It's wonderful to have you back and see your always-superb work.  This one is a masterpiece!

I only see one thing that I'd revisit, and that's the little guy's pants.  They look completely flat, with no creases or dimension. A little dodge and burn might be in order.

You have my utmost admiration for taking on and doing such a fantastic job on this monster.

Kudos and hugs!  (And happy Australia Day a little late!)

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Bambi

:wnw:

Incredible restoration, Athol! I can't believe how beautiful this is. I agree with Glenna. Just B&D and a little texture in the pants and we'll send this one on it's way. I can't thank you enough.

Bambi

G3User

Good call Glenna, it was on the list but I have spent a lot of time on this at 200/400 times magnification and I FORGOT  :-[ ( I could have lied )

Should get it to you in the next couple of days Bambi.

Thanks for the input

Athol

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]