• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Good Company

Started by pic-dr, February 02, 2012, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pic-dr

Quote from: schen on February 02, 2012, 11:22:22 PM
Larry,

A big mystery of yellow damages is that underneath the yellow, the blue channel is usually preserved.  If you look carefully at her hair, you will see that most of the details of the hair are preserved in the blue channel I posted.  Unfortunately, PhotoShop Elements does not support color channels.

Layer and mask are the critical part of doing restoration.  They allow you not have to work on the original.  The modifications you made could be adjusted later or reverted to the original.  In your case, you may add the original to a layer and mask out the hair you restored then only have to restart with the hair.

Layer and mask are so important that I would suggest that you get some instructional books from the store or library and watch some instructional video you may find online.  Get familiar with their use before you proceed with this restoration.  It will save you tons of effort.

Shujen

It will be awhile before I post anymore on this pic--I'm taking lessons online about layers and masks here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshopelements/using/WS287f927bd30d4b1f-f216bde12e28ad1224-7fdd.html

When I get that down, I'll play around on the blue channel with Photo Plus, which does have color channels adjustments, so I've got a bit of work to do before reattempting a repair. Thanks to you, Margie, Hannie and Kiska for your advice and assistance.

Larry
The most important room is that which is reserved for improvement.

pic-dr

pic-dr

OK, I'm starting to get the hang of masks, although I no longer have hair!  :mad:

But at least the lady has her hair back. (I think some of it is mine) I had a devil of a time trying to figure out why I couldn't touch up the hair when I finally 'transplanted' it from the original, then discovered I had to merge the layers to do that. Took me all day, I hope the results are satisfactory.

pic-dr

Mhayes

Congratulations Larry, the photo looks great and you are beginning to learn how to use masks. The bad news is that you lost your hair today and tomorrow it could be your mind as the photos will get a lot more difficult.  :cool:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Great job Larry!

You will soon get used to your new tools, it takes practice and then some.  I learn something new here on the forum nearly every day.

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

pic-dr

Quote from: Mhayes on February 04, 2012, 12:39:55 AM
Congratulations Larry, the photo looks great and you are beginning to learn how to use masks. The bad news is that you lost your hair today and tomorrow it could be your mind as the photos will get a lot more difficult.  :cool:

Margie

Umm, perhaps we should go a bit slower on the difficulty scale--I've seen that Santa pic that the gentleman did--and am not at all sure I'd survive something like that!  :-[

But I do want to thank everyone who provided input and guidance, you're all a great bunch to be so patient with this newbie. I will promise you this though, I am a very stubborn guy, and will do my very best to do these pictures justice. I'm thrilled to be a part of your community!  :wnw:

pic-dr

pic-dr

Quote from: Hannie on February 04, 2012, 10:27:39 AM
Great job Larry!

You will soon get used to your new tools, it takes practice and then some.  I learn something new here on the forum nearly every day.

:up2:

Hannie

Thanks Hannie, Despite my slow progress I'm having a ball fixing up these pics! I've read some of the letters from the people who received them, and if that isn't enough motivation to keep learning, I don't know what is  :loveit: I haven't had this much fun and satisfaction in years!

I freaked out yesterday when it turned out that the final product mysteriously disappeared (became corrupted somehow) from my computer, then I realized it was still up on Photobucket where I could (eventually) figure out how to download it. I now have it locked up tight in one of my folders to keep it safe until I could send it along to Bambie! Close one.. ::)

Thanks to everyone!

pic-dr

pic-dr

I may have goofed up when I uploaded the pic to Bambie. I checked afterwards and realized it was smaller than the original. (I think that happened when I dl'd it from Photobucket.) After realizing it was the wrong size, I changed the size in Photo Plus to the original size--1650x1200 pixels and re-sent it.

I hope I have not caused a problem by doing that...but Bambie will now have two copies of the pic, the first the smaller, the second the correct size. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Larry

pic-dr