• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello from Atlanta

Started by corpusdei, January 02, 2012, 07:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corpusdei

Hey there all!  My name is Simon.  I don't have any substantive art or photography background, but I've been playing with image manipulation in Photoshop, GIMP, Paint Shop Pro and a few others for awhile now (mainly for entertainment and photoshop contests on fark, worth1000 and the like).  When I came across OCR I was amazed at the kind of work being done and immediately wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help.  So many times, photos aren't just images - they're touchstones for memories, and I can think of few things more worthwhile than helping to repair those touchstones for someone.  That said, I've done some photo retouching but I'm new to the more in-depth restoration work, so I'm looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully bringing some of the skills that I've picked up into play for a good cause! 
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.  We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity."

Pat

Hi Simon, and welcome to OPR!

Take a look around the forum and you will see that this is a wonderful place to post your work in progress when you have questions while working on a photo.  Since you have experience not only with Photoshop, but GIMP and Paint Shop Pro as well as a few others, you may well have a leg up so to speak on some of the rest of us.  We have volunteers using all the programs you mention as well as Picasa and we all enjoy sharing techniques so you'll feel right at home in no time.

We are so glad you've joined us and look forward to seeing more of you on the forum.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Hi Simon from Kansas. You are going to love it here! It is great that you have used different softwares as that will give you the advantage of restoring from different angles. Plus, now we can come to you for advice on useing GIMP and Paint Shop.

Hope to see more of you on the forum as it's a great way to meet the rest of the happy nutty group.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

corpusdei

:D  I'll preface this with the statement that I'm happy to answer any questions about anything from Photoshop to GIMP to Aviary to PSP.  Please be aware though that any answer I provide may well be entirely made up.  I will, however, go to great lengths - including actual research and verification if need be - to ensure the answer sounds correct.  Now GIMP I can usually help with, although I'd caution that sometimes only significant inebriation (potentially bordering on the heroic) really helps make sense of some things.  It's still an incredible piece of software considering its price tag and admittedly daunting interface (GimpShop makes it better.  Um ... A little. - http://gimpshop.com/)
"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical.  We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity."

Mhayes

Oh Simon, I think your humor is going to fit in just fine here.  :funny:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Simon, welcome to the forum!
I also think it is great to have someone that uses Gimp.  I have never never used it but with the way things are going at Adobe, Gimp will become very interesting for a lot of Photoshop users.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mike S.

Hello Simon from Michigan,

Welcome to OPR and welcome to the Forum.  As you are already finding out with your other post it is a good place to get advice from the Masters.  Excellent place to learn and help others.

Mike
Mike S.

glennab

Hi Simon

A hearty welcome from not-so-warm Florida. We're having our 15 minutes of winter with a vengeance.  i'm so glad you decided to jump i and join us.  I think you'll find OPR to be a great experience, especially as you've evidenced a fine sense of humor, which will help you keep up with the antics on the forum.  We take our efforts to help each other with issues and challenges seriously, but we do like to have a good time as well.

Be sure to take time to check out the tutorials and miscellaneous threads to get a feel for what we're about, and don't hesitate to join in the forum to either ask questions or help a volunteer who's asking for feedback.

I'm so glad you joined us.

Cheers!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

david_gr

Hey, Simon.  I'm right down I75 in the Griffin area from you.  I too have no formal training in photo restoration but everyone at OPR is pretty patient with me.  I am sure they will with you too.  So please feel at home, you will find a great bunch of folks here at OPR.  :)