• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Greetings from Elmira, NY

Started by jfharrison, December 26, 2011, 11:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfharrison

Hello all,

I just recently learned of Operation Photo Rescue and thought "WOW", what a great idea and what a great cause.  So I did some searching (and some forum "lurking") and I was even more impressed with what I saw, and what I read, about OPR and the work being done to help restore photographs salvaged from natural disasters.

In terms of my own background, I have done general photography for many years -- but have no formal training in photography or art.  As a post-retirement avocation, I began designing and building websites for small businesses and non-profit organizations in the area around Elmira, NY in the Finger Lakes region of New York State.  In support of my website development work, I also began to build some basic Photoshop skills.  To date, most of my formal Photoshop "training" has been done via books, DVDs and online learning resource such as Lynda.com, NAPP and Kelby Online Training. 

Within the past three years, I have begun to dabble a bit in photo restoration on a part-time basis.  I really love the challenge of this type of work and I love the continuous-learning required.  To date, most of my restoration work has been on older black & white photos, tin types, and such with family/genealogical significance.  I have also done some basic retouching on black & white and color photos extracted from the crusted albums and shoeboxes of extended family and friends.

While I still consider myself still a relative "newbie" when it comes to Photoshop and photo restoration, I thought, perhaps, there might be something I could do to support OPR and to continue to build my skills and experience in photo repair and restoration.  So I applied online and -- much to my amazement -- got my welcome letter and my initial assignment within a few hours.

Then the panic set-in...

When I looked my first assignment, I thought "OMG, what have I got myself into this time...?"

Regardless, here I am.  Thank goodness I am surrounded by folks with true talent and the willingness to share their extensive knowledge and experience with well-intentioned folks like me.

You will soon hear my cries for help, elsewhere on this forum...   :)

---Jared Harrison

PS - While I am currently writing this note from our home in Elmira, NY -- My wife and I spend much of our time living in graduate student housing in Cambridge, Massachusetts, while she attends the Harvard Divinity Schools (at age 62  ;)

Mhayes

Hi Jared,

Welcome to OPR from Kansas! We are happy you discovered us and I think you will find this fun and the forum is a great way to meet volunteers from all over. All of us have started out as beginners and have picked up handy tips along the way. Plus, all of us have had restores that seemed impossible.

All of the training site you have listed are great and may I also suggest Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration & Retouching. It is a great book to get you started. The great thing about the forum is that you can post your work and ask for help. Plus, you will get different opinions on the best solutions to your problem.

The best help will be in looking over the handbook on color correction which is also good for black & white. Because of the damage or age all of the photos will start with that correction first.

With your background it won't be long before you feel more comfortable with restoring. Of course there will be those that will warn you that the photos you see in the gallery look so much better than when you download to your computer. Don't believe em!  >:D

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hi Jared,

Welcome to the forum from Amsterdam! 
You have put into words so well what almost all of us thought after we received our first OPR photo to restore.  You will see photos here with damage that you will not find in any of the photo restoration handbooks.  Don't panic, Margie's tips are a good starting point.  The forum is also a great place to share your work and get pointers, there is always something new to be learned here.

It sounds like you will feel right at home, thanks for joining us and good luck on your first OPR restore!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mike S.

Hi Jared,

Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue from Michigan.
As Margie and Hannie have said you will find many tips for photo restore here on the OPR Forum, Navigating OPR,  Techniques Handbook, and books and formal training.   The most valuable will be when you jump in and start restoring.  Restoring a photo in many cases will make you expand your capabilities.

A couple of tips, one which Margie already stated, do your color correction first, then damage repair and look at the photo at 200 to 300% to be sure you get all of it.  Pop back to normal or print size from time to time to make sure you are not removing things that are actually part of the picture.  When you get the photos restored there is an incredible since of accomplishment with the work and knowing that it will be appreciated by the owner for a lifetime.

Mike
Mike S.

Pat

Hello Jared, and a warm welcome to OPR!

You'll find your touch of humor and spirit of adventure is among your greatest assets when tackling some of our toughest restoration challenges.  Truly amazing restorations can be achieved when you post your work in progress on the forum as Hannie suggests.  With your background you'll do fine.

If you can manage a free weekend when we have our Pennsylvania copy run for hurricane Irene photos in the coming spring we'd love to see you there.  

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Bambi

Hello from Las Vegas!

When I read your first paragraph, it was like I had written it myself when I first joined OPR. Don't worry. Some of the best teachers around the world will guide you through your restorations on Forum. You'll learn so much and before long, you'll be helping others, too.

Margie's right. Read all the Techniques and Tutorials and bookmark them so you can refer to them quickly while you're working. Karin Eismann has great books.

As Hannie says, our photos have levels of damage you won't see elsewhere. Our members sometimes work miracles. And now you're one of us. Welcome, Jared.

Bambi