• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

I need your 2 cents, Thanx

Started by PhotoPhixUp, September 27, 2006, 06:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhotoPhixUp

Original weathersbye compressed:

fixed weathersbye compressed:

I took the teen out, originally I replaced him with another teen (didn't work)
I inserted a diamond frame with a magnolia painting, I couldn't tell if it was a mirror or painting.

I replaced what appeared to be a workstation or entertainment center with like images or what appeared to be close.

Weigh in and let me know what I can do better.

Thanx MUCH!
Jimmy
Jimmy P

Ausimax

Nice one Jimmy, don't think you had any options other than to loose the lad, better to be missing than looking like someone else. Great work on the rest of the image.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

paula

I think it looks wonderful.  You did a fabulous job.

Dave

Jimmy,

You did great work. There's no doubt about that.

However, I have to disagree about removing the teen. It goes against OPR's guidelines.

The main goal in every one of our restorations is to preserve the memory that the image holds for it's owner. Whether or not you can successfully repair the damage doesn't matter. Removing the teen completely from the photo damages the integrity of the memory that we are seeking to preserve.

When we interview the image owners about their photos, we thoroughly explain what we can and cannot do. After seeing the original version of this photo, I am confident that the owner was told there was nothing much that could be done to fix the teen. With that said, if the owner said it was alright to remove the person completely we would have done so and would have passed those instructions on to you the restoration volunteer.

I also question the painting of the flower hanging on the wall to the left. Is that the information you were able to find in the image or is it something you added? Either way, it's too much of a focal point. It stands out a little too much in the overall photograph and detracts from the important subject matter in the photo. You don't want the image owner focusing on that painting, because it's something he/she never had.

Again, the skills you have displayed in this restoration are amazing and I'm sorry that there isn't more that can be done with the teen. But, if this organization is to be long lasting and successful, we have to remain true to our mission. We're not restoring photographs, we're restoring memories.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

OPRAng

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to work so hard on a photo and feel as though you are leaving it unfinished. Leaving a damaged section (ie the teen) is OK--it is still an amazing restoration. Our goal is to maintain the memory, not restore it to pre hurricane condition. There is nothing we can do to turn back time. Katrina happened and we can't fix that either.

We all have to remember how damaged these photos are and that we can not turn back time via restorations. We just want to preserve as much as possible to build upon a new future. Now that we are at the toughest of the tough, there are going to be restorations that we can't make magic on--they are still amazing restorations for families that are thrilled to get them back.

Check out the posts on the forum with thank you notes. There is a brand new one under the tool bar. It reminds you that we can't take away the pain of the disaster--that includes some parts of restorations that just can't come undone--but the families are still thrilled with what they are getting back. When we get directions from families during copywork and collection for hte most part they all say that we should do "whatever we can". They know we can't recreate what isn't there--although it is sometimes harder for us to accept.

Thank you for all your hard work. It really is a great restoration that you should be proud of.

Angela
Angela Ellis
Treasurer
Operation Photo Rescue, Inc.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Kenny

Jimmy, is the painting/mirror on it's own layer? If it is, try lowering the opacity a little to make it fade into the backgroundmore. If the flower itself is on a seperate layer, reduce opacity on it to just give a slight hint of something there, but not too noticable. I would also do the same with the entertainment center, only not to as much a degree.

This should make those items blend in to the background and shift focus back to the people in the picture.

Maybe you can put the teen back in and restore everything except his face. If anyone comes up with another image you could use that to replace the face, but the original shows him hugging the woman. I'd put him back and see what I could do with the rest of him.

Kenny :)

Ps. It's storming here again...time to unplug the comp until it's over :(

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Dave and Ange

I think that what you've both expressed is something that we all need as a reminder.  For me it's difficult emotionally to not return a perfect image . You're so right.  The memory is the most important thing.

I'd suggest that you make a separate post containing what you've both so wonderfully expressed concerning our "mission."  I know that it's helping me to rethink the focus of my restorations and almost giving me permission to let go of the need to try to totally recreate missing details that aren't as important as the people are.

Great feedback! Thanks.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

glennab

ADDENDUM:

Jimmy, I also think you did an awesome job of restoring what you did.  Great work.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Jimmy, you did very good work.  I have to agree with Dave however on the guidelines that were established when OPR began.   Like America's Constitution, you know there were multi-opinions at the penning but it had to come to a place where those thoughts didn't change.  It was the foundation on which the United States were built.  OPRs guidelines are like that and with good reason, even though it is frustrating for us, it also gives a "safe" place to work in. 

Keep up the great work!!