• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New Jersey flooded

Started by Tess (Tassie D), August 31, 2011, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tess (Tassie D)

Looks like many people were caught when the flood waters hit. I imagine there's lots of damage and heartache there.  :(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/30/us-storm-irene-newjersey-idUSTRE77T4K020110830
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Hannie

This morning news had a report about Vermont, looks bad there too.  It is so sad to see people there that have lost their homes and possessions.  These floods hit them by surprise...

Hannie

PS
On a happier note, I loved the report on the little kittens that were found floating in a cardboard box.
(ignore the Dutch yapping)
http://www.rtl.nl/xl/#/u/0dee0d3e-9c26-49c6-92f4-ac896a25b1be/
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

They were certainly fortunate little cats!

I understand that the flood levels have peaked but it's taking a long time for the waters to recede. Then loads of cleanup and rebuilding. Still millions without electricity. It sure doesn't take long for nature to render us helpless.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

I got an email from one of our volunteers who lives in Norwich, Vermont that escaped the flooding, but is not far from where it did. She is also a NAPP member and wants to know if we will help. Yes, we will help, but I did explain that we are getting ready for our copy run in Joplin in October. It will be take some time before a run is ready there, but what I'm hoping is that we can provide information to her to pass on about the care of flooded photos before mold destroys them.

It looks like a case of feast or famine for disaster and right now it is mind boggling the scope of the recent disasters. OPR does amazing things with the limited resources we have. I'm hoping we will grow larger, not only in volunteers, but in funding, because otherwise we will be very limited in the help we cab offer.

I will keep everyone posted about what is happening in Vermont.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

Meantime, my heart goes out to all of New England.
<C>

TaltosVT

Quote from: Mhayes on August 31, 2011, 11:58:13 AM
I will keep everyone posted about what is happening in Vermont.

I'm in Vermont as well, if there's any information that I can pass along to my neighboring towns.  The town I'm in was relatively unscathed, but not far from here we still have a couple of towns that were cut off from supplies as of this morning.  Roads are missing all over the state, but they are being rebuilt fairly quickly.

The most heart-wrenching for me was watching the historical society of the town just north of me get washed into the river.  The remains lodged against the bridge in town, and they had to break the building up into pieces in order to save the bridge.

-Elroy

Tess (Tassie D)

How sad Elroy. There is a good topic here http://www.operationphotorescue.org/forum/index.php/topic,2739.0.html on what to do to preserve the photos and stop further deterioration.
Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Elroy, I am so sorry about what has happened. I watched on TV as a covered bridge got swept away. Drop me an email and I will put you in touch with the other OPR volunteer in Vermont.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

akandrews

Hi This is April in Vermont checking in.  Going to read the link above and think about how to disseminate the information.  There are several Facebook groups about the Vermont flood so I think posting information there would help, as well as letters to various local newspapers.

ps  Are there any copyright issues on using the information linked to above and/or what is the proper way to credit...

thanks

Hannie

Hi April,

The tips on salvaging photos I gathered over time so I'm sure you don't have to worry about copy rights.  If I'm wrong perhaps U.S. residents can tell us more about that?

You can also post a link to the tips thread.

Thanks,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

April,

I am not a lawyer and I don't try to play one either but copyright and fair use are a big part of my work so I will take a crack on this.

I believe if you provide a link to a publically accessible website, you are not violating the copyright.  If you download the large part of the content of the website and post it, transmit it, or print it without permission, you may be violating the fair use of copyrighted material.

Shujen
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

akandrews

Thanks.  I have the permission now so all is up and up. 

Oldfaded

Prayers are with your NJ... we are heading to South Jersey at the end of October.
This storm has left most of the east coast just devastated.
I started trying to alert fellow Vermonters to NOT throw out their photos along with an understand word that this is still early to be worried about photographs due to the many other pressing issues, but to try to remember not to just throw them away...
KATE
Old Faded Memories
-------------
Adobe CS5
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2