Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Recent Posts
[Today at 09:25:32 AM]

[Yesterday at 05:59:46 AM]

[April 18, 2014, 11:52:27 AM]

[April 14, 2014, 02:37:02 PM]

[April 13, 2014, 07:07:55 PM]

[April 13, 2014, 12:20:21 AM]

[April 09, 2014, 05:34:36 PM]

[April 07, 2014, 11:23:03 AM]

[April 06, 2014, 02:49:33 PM]

[April 06, 2014, 02:57:08 AM]
OPR Theme-o-matic

Locations of visitors to this page
Total Members: 2322
New This Month: 5
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Sorry, you do not have permission to view pictures!
Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community | The OPR Workshop « OPR Workshops « Difficult « Topic: Input Needed - Latest Disaster
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Input Needed - Latest Disaster  (Read 8443 times)
Kenny
OPR Resident Expert

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 06:56:20 AM »

Max,

The colors look a little too...crisp, for lack of a better word. I would go ahead and send in your other one for now and keep this one to practice the new techniques on.

Is each color is on a separate layer? Try lowering the opacity of each color and see how it looks. You can also try a slight gaussian blur. If you have the layer set to color, you won't need to clean up the edges after using the blur, this should soften the lines up nicely. To my eyes, the best colorized works give a nice suggestion of color without being overwhelming.

Kenny  Smiley

But why is the rum gone?
glennab
OPR Master

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 07:03:32 AM »

Max this is beyond awesome!  Obviously you're not TOO OLD to tackle these.  You've stuck with this bear when a lot of youngsters would have walked away from it.

Look at it this way: it keeps the brain cells exercised!  You've only got a few years on me, and I can tell you from experience that it's tough to get into so many new techniques and ways of observing things as we're forced to do in working on the restorations.  But there's a wonderful sense of accomplishment upon mastering something new -- or even making it work once - and I think we oldsters have the wisdom to especially appreciate that.

I think you're wonderful, and your restorations are a special gift to the people for whom you're doing them.  All that caring from the other side of the world -- It doesn't get any better than that.

Have a most wonderful day!

GG

P.S. While I was posting this Kenny also posted.  I'm afraid I have to disagree, Slasher!  I think the vibrancy of the colors makes this version sparkle.  I love it!

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)
Kenny
OPR Resident Expert

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 07:38:38 AM »

There you have it, Max. There is no "right" way to do this, only different ways. That's what makes each of us unique. I love black and white photography and prefer sepia toned pictures to full color ones. Glenna  is right, though, your style of restoration is excellent.  Thumbs up

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?
glennab
OPR Master

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 12:10:55 PM »

Max, I forgot to tell you that you sent me to bed last night with quite a chuckle at your crack about using masks!

On that note -- I just bought Katrin Eismann's book called "Compositing and Masks."  I'll let you know how much I get out of it ( I expect a bunch --she's a major guru. And I somehow doubt there's a word about convenience stores!!).

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)
vhansen
OPR Jr. Member

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 03:55:07 PM »

I think the coloring is 100% better than the earlier versions.   
Although, to be honest, if I were you, I would have tried to submit this as a black & white, after you weren't able to get the results you wanted.  Got to give you kudos for sticking with this!

For those that asked, I do this professionally and as a hobby (when there is time.)

Ausimax
OPR Master

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006, 06:42:39 PM »

Hi Folk,

Thank you for your valuable input, and the encouragement it gives to us less skilled in restoration, I am learning so much from all of you.

I think with a few more tweaks I may send this one home, then the Gurus can decide - Green or Blue!

Glad you got a laugh Glenna, there has to be fun in all this as well, and after a time it seems like the people on the forum are like old friends.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!
glennab
OPR Master

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006, 07:29:57 PM »

You're right, Max: You've gotta laugh!  It's the only way to survive!

And I , too, feel that the volunteers at OPR are friends and family.  I've never been on a forum before, and this has been an enlightening and positive experience  - thanks to you and the rest of the volunteers who are putting so much heart and soul into the restorations!  I have kindred souls all over the world! It warms my heart.

Best to you, as ever,

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  
Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community | The OPR Workshop « OPR Workshops « Difficult « Topic: Input Needed - Latest Disaster

Jump to: