• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Input Needed - Latest Disaster

Started by Ausimax, September 26, 2006, 10:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Max,

The colors look a little too...crisp, for lack of a better word. I would go ahead and send in your other one for now and keep this one to practice the new techniques on.

Is each color is on a separate layer? Try lowering the opacity of each color and see how it looks. You can also try a slight gaussian blur. If you have the layer set to color, you won't need to clean up the edges after using the blur, this should soften the lines up nicely. To my eyes, the best colorized works give a nice suggestion of color without being overwhelming.

Kenny  :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Max this is beyond awesome!  Obviously you're not TOO OLD to tackle these.  You've stuck with this bear when a lot of youngsters would have walked away from it.

Look at it this way: it keeps the brain cells exercised!  You've only got a few years on me, and I can tell you from experience that it's tough to get into so many new techniques and ways of observing things as we're forced to do in working on the restorations.  But there's a wonderful sense of accomplishment upon mastering something new -- or even making it work once - and I think we oldsters have the wisdom to especially appreciate that.

I think you're wonderful, and your restorations are a special gift to the people for whom you're doing them.  All that caring from the other side of the world -- It doesn't get any better than that.

Have a most wonderful day!

GG

P.S. While I was posting this Kenny also posted.  I'm afraid I have to disagree, Slasher!  I think the vibrancy of the colors makes this version sparkle.  I love it!
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

There you have it, Max. There is no "right" way to do this, only different ways. That's what makes each of us unique. I love black and white photography and prefer sepia toned pictures to full color ones. Glenna  is right, though, your style of restoration is excellent.  :up:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Max, I forgot to tell you that you sent me to bed last night with quite a chuckle at your crack about using masks!

On that note -- I just bought Katrin Eismann's book called "Compositing and Masks."  I'll let you know how much I get out of it ( I expect a bunch --she's a major guru. And I somehow doubt there's a word about convenience stores!!).

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

vhansen

I think the coloring is 100% better than the earlier versions.   
Although, to be honest, if I were you, I would have tried to submit this as a black & white, after you weren't able to get the results you wanted.  Got to give you kudos for sticking with this!

For those that asked, I do this professionally and as a hobby (when there is time.)

Ausimax

Hi Folk,

Thank you for your valuable input, and the encouragement it gives to us less skilled in restoration, I am learning so much from all of you.

I think with a few more tweaks I may send this one home, then the Gurus can decide - Green or Blue!

Glad you got a laugh Glenna, there has to be fun in all this as well, and after a time it seems like the people on the forum are like old friends.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

You're right, Max: You've gotta laugh!  It's the only way to survive!

And I , too, feel that the volunteers at OPR are friends and family.  I've never been on a forum before, and this has been an enlightening and positive experience  - thanks to you and the rest of the volunteers who are putting so much heart and soul into the restorations!  I have kindred souls all over the world! It warms my heart.

Best to you, as ever,

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)