• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

From The Desk Of Klassylady - New OPR (Toughy)

Started by klassylady25, September 23, 2006, 12:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

What is on the mantle?   I see a book but darned if I know what the round thing is.  This picture appears to be the young lads confirmation day.

Kenny

Wow, tough one. My wife and I both looked at it and she said it looks like a sculpture. Could be an abstract piece of some sort? I honestly don't know. Let's home someone else will recognize it.

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Peter_AUS

Could he be standing on a Stair Case, or around the top of an atrium and that is something dangling behind.  Looking at the individual channels, didn't enlighten anything more than that to me.  Certainly a difficult one.
Regards,

Peter

paula

It looks like a pendulum of some sort.  I think it's too low to be a mantle but I don't know what else it could be.  Boy, you take on the real tough ones!

klassylady25

Pendulum is good!  lol

Crazy --------  :D        I'm beginning to think you're right.  I've only been doing this for a little over 2 years and working on the hard ones makes me take the books out more,  working harder to improve.  It isn't "practice makes perfect" it is "perfect practice makes perfect"  and "success is directly proportional to the errors one has made"...... and boy have I made a bu** load! 

I'll keep checking back as I work on this picture to see other thoughts.  Until then have at it and enjoy! 

:)  Candy

glennab

Hi Candy

This may be far-fetched, but because of the obvious age of the photo, I'm wondering if the boy is standing beside a fuel-fired heater and the circular area is an opening to a chimney.  I can barely discern what appears to be a large round tube behind the circle, which could be a metal chimney.  It puts me in mind of an old kerosene heater we used to have, although all the chimney and flue parts were hidden on ours.  We had a port into which we'd drop a match to light the kerosene at the bottom of the heater and that's what I think of when I look at the circle within a circle.  Anyway, for what it's worth...

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Dave

Whatever it is, it's old and weird. The looping part of the object looks like a goose neck. Looking closely where the loop meets the flat top of the box-like object, it looks like a bird's face is carved there. Just my two cents. Not scientifically based on anything other than my own scattered thoughts.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about that too much. I think you have a big enough challenge with the boy in the picture.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

klassylady25

Oh my Dave have you been nipping the apple cider again!!  LOL  I loved it and yes, the boy is the main object and am working on him but wouldn't it be wonderful to know... like going to the Antique Road Show! 

klassylady25

He's going home!  Thank you all for your help!

Kenny

The amount of damage that picture had is incredible. You did an amazing job in bringing it back  :up:

Kenny

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Congratulations! A nice job on a very difficult subject. 

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!