• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Advice and critique wanted

Started by RWH, August 18, 2011, 08:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWH

Hi I'm a newbie and am posting this in difficult because well it's difficult to me. I've been trying many different techniques. I would appreciate any suggestions. Be brutal, hurt me plenty. I'm sure it's a 15 minute fix for a lot of you. I'm not there ...yet.

I replaced the green and blue channels with the red channel. Curves adjustment. I used Noiseware Community Edition. Lot's of cloning, healing and dodging and burning.

A few things.

1. The shadow on her chin, did I change it to much.

2. Blotchy background. I've done a lot of dodging and burning still a ways to go. Tried to replace it, that looks to fake.

3. I've got hours into her shirt. This is an untouched version.

4. I see a large dark area in her hair, don't know how that happened. Probably should have went to sleep sooner. Also I've got a few batches of wine going, and I'm a firm believer in frequent taste testing.  :crazy:

thank you
Randy

larger
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/rotertj2478x10rhwipwebf.jpg/

Hannie

15 minute fix?  No way!
Randy, congratulations on your first OPR restore, it looks great!

There does seem to be a little more shape underneath her chin but it could be damage as well, it is hard to tell.

For the dodging and burning here is a great topic to get a more even result:
TIP:  Burn and dodge the gentler way.
(you can experiment with opacity and layer opacity, you can add a Gaussian blur for more smoothness, this tip works great)
You will really like this method as you can smooth away any blotches with a Gaussian blur on the Soft Light layer.

Really zoom in the area around her silhouette to get rid of the"white" shadows.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

schen

Randy,

I agree with you that you might have overdone her face.  As the result, it looks a little flat.  I believe she had a double chin and more prominent cheek (the blue circles).

There were some details in her hair (green circles).  If you can preserve them they will look more lively.

Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

RWH

Thank you Hannie and schen. I appreciate your input. I will incorporate your suggestions to further refine this photo.

thanks
Randy