• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Well, curses! I can't get this quite right.

Started by PatW, June 15, 2011, 03:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatW

Hi everybody. Haven't posted for awhile, but I'm still here... and I'm stumped..   I don't know if it's a senior moment or a more general mental deficiency, but I can't quite get her face right.  There is still a black shadowy place on her cheek where the damage was.  This is driving me nuts.... and there'll be no comments from the back of the room, please... you know who you are...:cool:

Before

After

Black shadowy spot on beautiful lady.

Also, please check out the rest of the picture & see if it's ok.   Thank you, thank you, thank you.

pat w.

PatW

P.S.  I know there has to be an easy way to fix this & I was a little embarrassed to even post the question, but nothing I've tried (i.e. healing brush, clone tool, levels, curves, selective color) comes out looking right.   I'm hoping some one who's still sane will be able to point out the obvious to me.   :)

battleaxe

hello,
 there are four things one can try in photoshop....

1.  with an eyedropper sample the color in the good cheek
make a new layer, select in the layer blending mode: color, then paint with a soft brush. If it looks too bright try lowering the opacity on the coloring layer.

or

2 duplicate photo layer, ctrl j, and after using the eyedropper from a good area, use the color replacement tool (under your brush tool) and paint over the bad area.

3.  duplicate photo layer or make a feathered selection of the damaged layer,
go to image/adjustments/replace color,
select the bad color, and adjust the sliders accordingly

4.   select the good part, ctrl j to make a duplicate,
go to edit transform, flip horizontal, move it to damage area using the move tool and mask it in with a soft brush.

hope this helps

Though to tell you the truth, I don't see anything wrong with your picture   :hug:

Hannie

Lovely restore Pat!
If you want to make the dark spot less prominent you can use a low opacity white brush on a 50% gray Soft Light layer and lighten the spot up some?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

PatW

Thanks, Battlaxe!  I've tried a couple of those strategies, but maybe I gave up too soon.  I also may have been a little heavy handed. I'll give it another try. P.S. Thanks very much for the kind words... :loveit:

Hannie, thank you!  I completely forgot about dodging & burning.... what I've been trying to do is preserve the general shadow, but get a little of that extra black tone out.   That might be just the ticket.

By the way, other than the tearing out my hair part, it's nice to be back. :)

Mhayes

Pat,

For comic relief, let's go with the tearing out of the hair.

Another way and I think it is similar to Hannie's is go up to Layer and on the pull down menu and create a new layer and check the box for 50% gray and use either overlay or soft light for the mode. Then use a white brush to lighten and I would start low like 33 % or lower.

Another idea is kind of lazy, but duplicate your layer and on that layer make the mode "screen" and adjust your opacity as needed. Then do a mask to conceal all and then paint back in the part you want lighter.

Great to see you back . . .if only it wouldn't be so fleeting!  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

PatW

Margie, I think I have it fixed.  I've just uploaded what is hopefully the final version.

You will, of course, take note of the dazzling speed with which I completed this restoration.... ok, ok, so maybe it all depends on your definition of dazzling.... ::)

Pat

Oh shucks!!  I've been waiting with baited breath to at least hear just what the fix was that ended up working for you if not actually seeing the end results –what you've posted so far is beautiful.
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

PatW

Thank you, Pat,  it's a very subtle change & I'm hoping Margie will think it's enough. I didn't want to lose the shadow, just attempted to make it look more natural.  I used both Battleaxe & Hannie's suggestions.  Lightened the black edge a tad with the 50% gray/overlay layer & painted back a little color from another part of her face (also brightened the skin tone a tad.) I guess it was a little thing to obsess over, but obsess, I did...  ...still a little nervous about it, but I'm thinking it will look better at 8x10 than at the pixel level. :D

Pat

Gorgeous!  Thank you for posting it along with the details of how you accomplished it.  The forum critiques are a wonderful learning tool especially when we can follow the progress right through to the end results.   
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Sorry Pat, I'm afraid that you will need to do some revising on this one. I like shadows, but we don't want a man's 5 o'clock shadow on a lady. OK, I'm teasing as it looks great! I couldn't resist giving you a bad time, especially when I see in PhotoShelter that you have addressed your return to: Margie the Fearsome.

Yes, I was impressed with the dazzling speed that you finished this one.  :funny:

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]