• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

critique...

Started by Russell, September 18, 2006, 12:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell

This is actually my first image for OPR and I've been working on it on and off for quite awhile.  But I think I've finally almost wrapped it up.  I'd love to get any opinions or criticism on it first, though:

Still working on the coat, though I'm not sure exactly what to do with it yet.  Thanks in advance.

Dave

Russell,

Overall, I think it's a great job. If I had to critique something, I would say the hair. In the original, the hair looks a bit more curly (not tight curls, but more curly than wavy) with a reddish tint.

I think the coat looks good and really don't think anything else needs to be done with it. You've cleaned it up nicely and it's not overdone. The focus is on the face which you've restored beautifully.

Again, it's a really nice job. Thanks for the strong effort.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Russell

I think you did a wonderful job.  Her face is perfect!  I'll defer to Dave's opinion on the hair, because he has young eyes, and I don't.  Super restoration!  If it's your first one, I can see we can anticipate incredible work from you! 

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

paula

I won't defer to Dave.  I think what you have done is nothing short of miraculous.   The hair is especially well done.   I kiss your hem. :wnw:

Dave

Wow! I'm taking a bit of a beating today. I do believe that I said it was a great restoration. With that said the hair does look good, but is it as true to the original as it could be? In my opinion, no.

The original hair looks like short wavy curls to me. The restored version restores the hair in long waves.

Does it kill the restoration for me? No.

Do I think it can be better? Yes.

We're restoring the memory that the image invokes. If Aunt Betty's hair was always curly and we send back a restoration showing Aunt Betty with a 'do she never had, then I think we fell a bit short of our intended goal.

Russell, I'll defer to you since you are working with the original high resolution version. But my critique aside, please know that I think you are doing a tremendous job with this.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Russell

Hey, I've asked for criticism and it is all welcome!  :)

If there is anything that can make this better and closer to the original memory, I wanna hear it, and I agree with all comments about the hair.  While it is difficult to see the texture of the hair in the original, the silhouette of it (and some of the highlights to the right of the tape) does seem to imply tighter curls.  Thanks all for the comments.  Next chance I get to sit down with it I'll see what I can do to create smaller curls, probably make a whole new pass on the highlights.

cmpentecost

Russell,

Are you familiar with Russell Brown's "hair brushes".  The website is http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html.  It's WAY at the bottom of the page.  Look for creating digital hair.  You can download the free brushes here also.  I've used these brushes quite a bit.  Go thru the tutorial first, as it is very helpful.  These brushes are for use with Photoshop CS and CS2.  Be careful not to "over paint" on the hair, as it will then look painted and not natural.  However, the bruses come in all shapes and sizes, from straight to curly.

Good luck with it.  I think you've done a great job on this picture.

Christine

paula

Aunt Betty's hair looks wavy  to me, not curly.  I think the restoration has captured the look.  Also,  the highlights kind of look like they  have been accentuated by wear and tear as well as the damage it suffered in the storm.   No beating intended, just my opinion.  I don't often give it (which is why I'm a newbie) but this one is really well done.

Dave

After having looked at this image several times over, I agree about the red tinting being a result of age and wear. However, I'm sticking with short curly waves on the hair.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Kenny

I'm going to wade in this one too.  :-\

Looking at the original I get the "Impression" of more curly hair. Without trying to look into too much detail, that's what it looks like. So, I agree with Dave on this one.

It's really a matter of highlighting. Nigel's hairbrushes are wonderful if you can use them I'm using an older version of Photoshop so I'm unable to, but if you can, I think they would do wonderfully.

Shorter, curlier highlights is the ticket, me thinks.

Kenny  :)

(Don't beat up on me too bad)  :P

But why is the rum gone?

vhansen

Before anything else, I have to say I think you're doing an excellent job on this.  Your restoration work on her face has kept her features true to the original, and the photo, for the most part, has kept it's photographic qualities.
Couple of things I noticed:
I don't think her eyelashes look correct. What looks like thick pointy lashes looks to me like damage. The right eye (from my viewpoint) doesn't look bad, but the left one needs work.  I would fill in the gaps between the lashes and remove the lashes that are spiking out.  Also, the very corner of the same eye does not have enough light, and almost looks like a dark square in the corner of the eye.  If you check back on the original you'll see more of the white of her eye there.

I also think her hair should be curly.  So, unless you're an artist who can realistically draw curls, I suggest you hunt around for images of curly hair to use for this.  By cutting, pasting, and manipulating with layer masks, you could most likely pull it off.

Speaking of the hair, the hair coming down the face and over the ear on the left does not look right.  My guess is that the hair was behind her ear as it is on the other side.  Also, it was probably short and curly.

One more thing, the background on the left looks much lighter than the original (near her face).  It's not something that ruins the whole, but it does alter the original photographic lighting.

Hope this helps,
Vikki

PhotoPhixUp

:up2: :up2:

Russ

I think it's great.  The only thing I would even consider messing with is her right eye (our left)

size, shade, something is off.  I downloaded them and my view sidexside, the eye jumps out.

Great job!!

Jimmy 
Jimmy P

klassylady25

Does she have on false eyelashes?    ;)

glennab

My assumption was very heavy mascara -- which was quite fashionable for a number of years in the past.  But false eyelashes is definitely a possibility.  It doesn't look like damage to me.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

vhansen

"Obvious" fake eyelashes doesn't fit with the rest of this woman's makeup and total look.  It might be helpful (for this debate) to see the actual size of that eye.  From what I could see, the eye lid is shadowed with white/light colored damaged streaking out.