• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Tornado Damaged Photos

Started by glennab, May 25, 2011, 04:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennab

Joplin and other tornado-ravaged areas.  

Margie, is there anything I can do to help get word out to the people who can find any relatively intact photos in all the debris to not throw them away? I'd even thought about contacting CNN, but I didn't want to do anything without checking with you to see what our usual procedure is.  I'm going out of town tomorrow for 4 days, but if I can do anything, please let me know.  I may have access to a computer while I'm gone, and if I do, I'll be glad to send out word to anyone you think is appropriate.  (Going to Jacksonville for the jazz fest - and most of that is at night, so I think the days will be relatively free.)

I hope none of it got to you.  Today looks like another bad day for that whole area.  Horrendous!

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Mhayes

Hi GK and Everyone,

There has been so much going on behind the scenes that I'm running a behind in getting the information out. We have already been contacted to see if we could help those in Joplin, MO and the word is YES! I received this yesterday from an OPR member in Springfield, MO. Victoria Johnson, B.A. M.F.A; Systems Web Admisninstrator; Olin Library, Drury University:

QuoteI was wondering what the criteria for OPR coming to the rescue is? I'm not sure there is going to be much left in Joplin but I know that the first thing I thought of when the sirens went off was my photos – those irreplaceable pictures of great grannie! I work for a University here in Springfield, MO so thought about part of our recovery contributions being help with photographs as well as clothing drives, donations etc. We are part of a statewide consortium of libraries so help would be easy to come by; including the University there in Joplin.

This is mostly an information gathering mission at present; I think what this organization does is "priceless".... V

We have been corresponding back and forth and I am so thrilled that OPR will be teaming up with the libraries for a copy run in the future, but also being able to get the word out about how to save the photos from further damage this early is priceless. More from Victoria:

QuoteGreat news! I can be a contact person here as well as help get things rolling. The libraries in this part of the state are all in a consortium together so everyone is banding together to do what we can. MSSU the main university is acting as a triage center right now; but that will let up as they transfer patients to the outlaying hospitals. Lodging – we can get volunteers or university housing ... Springfield is about 65 miles from Joplin straight down I44. My husband is also one of your restoration folks (Randy Henderson) and will be on hand also. My job will let me volunteer my time (the university encourages all it members to do community service).

I'll start getting the word out about  drying photos etc. I will also start scouting out venues and volunteers. I can also talk to the newspapers and TV if you like; they could say something about saving photos, drying etc. ... Just let me know how to get started. V

Right now I have been asked for a news release as their Media director on campus said that an official "news Release" would carry more weight. I hope this could be the start of how we will operate in the future by teaming up with libraries or historical foundations after a disaster hits---this will be a huge advantage!

Once I get some of the loose ends done; I hope to have our home page up to date on all the activity going on. The newsletter will follow with more information and that goes out to all the membership.

GK, have a safe and fun trip---you deserved it!!

Margie

P.S. We escaped all the bad weather, but 100 miles away in Reading, KS, the town was destroyed and one person killed. Last night Oklahoma got hit and 5 fatalities.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

Great news! With the tornadoes coming day after day it's been looking overwhelming for the region; at least we can begin to offer a little bit of help with our specialty.

I know copy runs cost money, and there may be need for quite a few, so let us know when we can start contributing towards the next one.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Mhayes

Tori,

Once we know dates we will have the ChipIN box ready to take donations. Also, David Greenfield is organizing a run in GA sometime in June or July and is going with locals which will save money. We are also looking into an organization that helps generate donations. Right now I don't have enough information to know if it will be a good fit or not.

Besides the need for donations, we need more volunteers to help get the Nashville photos out to the families. You guys are doing great, but we need to reach the volunteers that are MIA.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]