• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Updating Disaster!

Started by Mhayes, May 04, 2011, 02:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Does anyone have a fix for my update of Internet Explorer 9? Silly me saw the little icon saying there was an update---too bad it didn't have a skull and crossbones to go with it! By updating I have lost all my favorites that I had bookmarked favorite sites----gone, gone, gone! Is there anyway I can get back what I lost? Also, before you could control the magnification, but not now.

Thanks for any help.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

I found it. At the very top on the right hand are some tiny little icons----if they were on a photo we would think it was damage to be taken out. Now I have a little house--dog house?, a little biddy star, and a washer for settings. Wow! What an improvement---NOT!

Miss Clueless
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Tori803

I prefer Firefox to IE. It runs a lot faster.

I just got my computer up and running after a crash. The graphics card fried and obliterated my start up files. I bought a new one, installed it, found that none of my emergency start-up discs worked, but the original Windows Vista disc worked to boot the computer, then I could do a system restore. Reminds me of the old days with Windows 95. (Shudder.)

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

haleygd

You can unistalled IE 9 and revert to 8 if you want. Also if you look at the lower right of the window, you should see the magnifying glass. Clicking it will cycle from 100% to 125% to 150% and then back to 100% If you click on the itty bitty down triangle you can select a specific size.
Windows 7 & CS5 Design Premium, restoration in work photos uploaded at GaryHaley.photoshop.com

Mhayes

Thanks everyone, I think I will consider Firefox. This is a dumb question, but will my favorites only be good on Internet Explorer?

Thanks Haleygd, I finally found it. It seemed so simple to use before.  >:(

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Margie I had the same sad updating experience as you and switched to Firefox.  You can import your favorites from Internet Explorer to Firefox.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Pat,

That's great, but can a feeble minded person do it? After you change to Firefox, is it easy to find where to import your favorites?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Pat

Margie once you have Firefox up you will click on "file" in the upper left corner then from the drop down you will click on "import".   Once you are completely set up and using Firefox if you "bookmark" something that you want to keep separate as a "favorite" you can just drag it from the "recently bookmarked" to the "from Internet Explorer"

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

glennab

Margie, let Pat's comments encourage you to use Firefox.  I just updated mine, and it's so easy to use.

I didn't know about exporting bookmarks from Explorer, but there's now a little star in the upper right corner that you can just click any time you want a bookmark.  You can have themes and there are a lot of extras - I don't bother with too many of them, but I do really like the browser.

GK
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Hannie

That's right.  I use both IE and FF.  I remember after I installed FF the program asked me if I wanted to import my Favorites (Bookmarks) from IE and I did.
I still use IE mostly but sometimes when it acts up I use FF.  My geek friends tell me it should be the other way around  because FF has better security but old habits are hard to break....
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Thanks for the tips. When you go from one browser to another, do you have a way of doing it quicker than doing a search and then installing?

GK, did you update Firefox or were you talking about Explorer as that is where the little star is at too?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

I use FF all the time but still have Explorer in my applications folder. If I need it I just double click it.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

I'm back! I got Firefox installed and my favorite transferred over, but cannot fin how to increase the magnification on it. I found it on the other browser, but can't seem to locate it on this one.

Thanks,

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]