• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Check this out

Started by kevinashworth, April 29, 2011, 02:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinashworth

Hi y'all

I've been away from the forum for a while to put together a little website to showcase my work and maybe pull in a few clients. It's not out to get big business, and i'm not expecting much to come of freelance work but it's nice to have a web place where folks can look at a gallery and contact me.

Have a look and see what you think. Any comments, critiques and tips welcome as always.

Oh, and say hello in the guestbook  :up:

http://www.noodlesoop.co.uk/kevinashworth/

nasvete

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Nice website Kevin!
Did you build it yourself?
I'm not sure if it is because of the 17" laptop I'm currently viewing but some of the print (like the clickable links) is very tiny. 
Maybe I need glasses....  ;)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kevinashworth

Thanks everyone for your support on this. The main issue so far seems to be the gallery is still slow loading.

Hannie can you email me a full size screen grab of how you see it, please?

Actually, has anyone been viewing it on a widescreen monitor, How does it display? Does it stretch the site to fit horizontally or leave a gap somewhere?

Yes i did build it, i'm especially proud of my profanity filter which the guest book is fitted with. It substitutes naughty words with something else.  ;D

Pat

Hi Kevin, I've missed seeing you on the forum and was wondering what you were up to. :)

Your website is outstanding and I'm very impressed.  I would have to agree with Hannie however about the size of some of the print.  On my 18.5 inch widescreen laptop and even on the 24" widescreen monitor on my server it is too small. 

I do not find the gallery slow loading at all on my laptop but it is definitely slow on the server.  Do to the difference in network cards I'm sure.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Tori803

I like your site Kevin!

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

G3User

Hi Kevin,

Had another look, tried Firefox and IE and I have a wide screen. Both browsers behave the same way.

With the browser window about half screen, the page opens with the background showing it is tiled and the text position is based on the window size, rather than the background. The same occurs if the browser window is full screen

Control + and – intermittently change the background size but have no effect on the font sizes. Not sure why they are intermittent

Dragging the browser window shows more or less tiles, the text repositions to suit the window until it is too small and then it crops the text

I have a broadband connection so not sure why downloads appear to be slow, launching the gallery takes >15 seconds

Are you offering a prize for defeating your profanity tool?

Athol

JTJB

Hi Kev,

Just visited your site, and it looks great.

The image gallery works very nice and loads without major delay on approximately 5.5 mbs line.

A couple of small points you may wish to consider.

1.  As mentioned by Athol, you movie background repeats when viewed on a window that extends your set movie dimension size.  You could move this over to Flex and set the movie to resize, however, you may find the following option easier. I have a 27' monitor and this is fairly obvious when viewed on this.

Try creating an floating Div Tag on an elastic html page at the size you wish your movie to be set at.  Centre this accordingly and set a complimentary background colour that will frame your movie nicely.

2.  The second has nothing to do with your layout, however, it maybe something you wish to consider as you maybe limiting your viewing audience by having the site entirely in Flash.  For people who are trying to view your page on an Apple mobile device (iPhone, iPad etc), they will not be able to view your work, as Flash is not currently supported yet.  I do believe this is planned for the future, however, this has been an ongoing issue for a long time.  A work around for this could work with setting the Div Tags up as described above and having a link outside of the Flash linking to a html version that runs parallel to your primary site for viewers on a mobile device.

All in all the site is beautifully put together and the the layout is very appealing.

Great work and I hope the above assists accordingly, feel free to contact me accordingly if I can be of any assistance.

Cheers for now,

JB 

kevinashworth

Thanks so much for your support everyone.

JB i know very little about html, Flash is all i know - the entire site is pure flash. However  i've made a few adjustments:

Ive made the background image 1920x1200 so it shouldn't repeat, and changed the scale parameter in the html so it's like your elastic idea.

http://www.noodlesoop.co.uk/kevinashworth/test.html

Can you and the other wide-screeners let me know if it's any better?

Athol, my man,  i'll send you one of them plastic commemorative Wills & Kate souvenir mugs from B&M bargains uptown. Have a good swear.  ;D

Pat

Kevin that's so much better! :up:

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

G3User

I agree with Pat. Only thing I noticed was you "hello good afternoon" has the last "n" clipped and is gets lost with some scaling.

You might like to check your guest book, it now has profanity, cursing , swearing and obscenity. Think that means that I win and will await your confirmation that my prize is in the mail. :cool:

Just because you won the cricket!!

Athol

kevinashworth

The hello and good afternoon bit shouldn't be seen and is there for technical reasons. All you should be able to see is this, or a wide version of it. Athol can you show me a screen shot? And where do you want the mug mailing to? :D

JTJB

Excellent Athol,

I knew if anyone could put that filter to the test it would be an Aussie tounge.  Well done enjoy your prize.

Kev, I have not had a chance to get back on the desktop to confirm from my side, however, I will drop you a post once I do.

G3User

Kev, I cleared my browser cache yesterday evening and when I checked your site this morning I could no longer see the text. Must have been looking at my cache rather than the current page?

I usually run my browser less than full screen, more like portrait A4 aspect ratio since most pages seem to be formatted for that layout and use Ctrl + only if the text is tiny. Not in to html or flash but I am sure they will be like Photoshop, many ways to do things and plenty of traps for young players. Is flash a hobby?

Let me know when you have the mug and I will see if I can get our Ambassador to arrange a pick up and save you the postage.

Athol