• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Unclaimed Photos 20 Years Later

Started by Mhayes, April 21, 2011, 07:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Today when I was reading the newspaper, The Wichita Eagle, I came across this article that grabbed my attention:: http://www.kansas.com/2011/04/21/1816680/andover-will-try-to-find-photos.html

It's hard to believe that it was twenty years ago a tornado tore through Haysville, Wichita, Andover, and the outskirts of El Dorado. I remember watching TV at the time and the local weatherman was really getting animated about people needing to heading for shelter NOW as the danger level was high. My husband remarked that he thought the weatherman was being overly dramatic. If you live in Kansas you get used to tornado watches. This time it turned out to be more dangerous than anyone could have envisioned. Seventeen people were killed, thirteen of them in Andover.

As I read the article and the attempt to find owners to the 200 photos that were left behind; I wondered if maybe there would be a chance for us to help restore any of the damaged photos. I contacted the reporter and left a message on his voice mail and then I contacted the Andover City Hall. I explained what OPR is about and one of the questions the woman asked me was whether there was a charge. I explained that we are a nonprofit and told her to check out our website. She said she would and would talk to a council member to see if it would be OK for me to offer OPR service at next Tuesday's meeting.

She called back a short time later and was very enthusiastic about OPR offering to help and setup to take pictures. Because there will be a city meeting at 7 pm, they did not want anything set up for taking pictures, but they would like OPR to have a table at the 5:30 meeting where I can have our laminated posters showing before/after restores and brochures. After that I was asked if I could come back for the 7 pm city meeting that would get media coverage. I said I would love to---even if no comes forward to claim those photos it will get the word out.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

That is great news Margie, I hope they will be able to reach some of the owners of these photos. 
Can you copy the photos without permission of the owners at this stage?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Tori803

This is a great idea Margie! Since the city has tried before to find the owners of the photos, no doubt the local city attorney can answer any legal questions.

Tori
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Pat

Margie this is wonderful news.  Last week I came across a handful of sixty year old family photos that have been misplaced for the last twenty-two years.  So I know firsthand it's exactly as Andover Mayor Ben Lawrence said.  "it's like opening a time capsule" and " even if it's just one person finding one photograph" what a blessing it would be.

Pat
Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Hannie and Tori, I don't think I would want to copy the photos to restore not knowing who they belong to. If we were to restore them, it would be a deadend  deal. I hope OPR can help and also hope we can get our name out there. The Red Cross will be there, but so far they have not shown and interest in teaming up with us. Maybe some day that will change.

Pat, what a wonderful discovery!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]