• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Color Correction. Should we?

Started by Tofu, June 23, 2006, 10:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tofu

Okay I'm a little torn on this issue and I didn't know what board to post this in.  Anyway...

One of my "moderate" photos isn't really that bad from a damage perspective.  But it looks like the original was taken in the 70's so the picture is somewhat dark.  So the question is do we just repair the damage and put the photo back as close to it's apparent original state?  Or do we take it a step further and correct the color/lighting/contrast/etc.?

Would people be offended if we went that extra mile?  Believe it or not I know a couple people who'd want the photo as close to the original as they could get.  Even if the original wasn't that great of an exposure.  For them that's the sentimentality of it.  But, I would hope, the majority would want their photos vibrant.

Advice?  ???

Some people say I have ADD but they just don'... HEY LOOK A CHICKEN!

GUESS

I've been looking for a mission statement that might give some insight into this, but I couldn't find one.
My thoughts are that we're here to restore the photos to pre-Katrina state, not  a like-new state, especially if the photo in question is an older one.
But it can be tough sometimes to differentiate between age related damage and Katrina damage... so I guess it's ultimately up to our discretion.

Maybe we should have some sort of a critique section on here where we can post images we're not too sure about to get feedback from others.
____
eric guess
forefront-studios.com

Tofu

I guess my instinct is to go ahead with the color correction.  If anything I think it would be a psychological boost for these people.  After all they have the original picture still (unless they were foolish and tossed it after OPRDave and crew scanned them in) and they can then pay someone to put it to exactly what they want. :-\

Speaking of which, I wonder how many photo-restoration places are gonna be upset with OPR?  Aren't we effectively hurting their business income?  Which leads me to wonder how our "clients" are chosen?  Do they have to prove that they were a victim of a natural disaster?  What's to stop Joe Schmoe from bringing in a photo that was damaged in a domestic dispute and claiming it was torn by debris?  There are,afterall, dishonest people out there who'd love to get something for nothing.

Meh,  I suppose I'll let the OPR onsite staff worry about picking those bad apples out as they are far outweighed by the real victims. :-\

KaDi

This message sent to me from Becky with the new round of photos might help clear up a few points. (Emphasis mine.)

"Here is a photo for you.  I know you've been through this process, but here's the guidelines we're sending to all volunteers!

The image is sized and cropped.  Basic color corrections are great, but don't worry too much as we will put the final correction on them to calibrate to the printers.  Once you are done, just send it back in the highest jpeg quality!

Following are guidelines that we ask you to follow while restoring this image (I realize some seem obvious... we send this to all volunteers):

1.      Your main goal should be to restore the memory that this photo invokes in its owner.

2.      Do not over restore. If the image becomes unrecognizable from its original form, than you risk damaging the emotional connection that the image holds with its owner. It is better to let some damage remain in order to preserve the integrity of the image.

3.      Do not add what was never there. Adding an interesting background may make for a better photo, but it does not serve our purpose.

4.      Do not use body parts from other images to replace missing ones in the photo that you are restoring. The owners of these images will immediately recognize anything that's "wrong".  If you have multiple photos of the same subject matter, it may be permissible to use some parts of one to better restore another, but only if the effect remains natural looking and does not adversely affect the integrity of the image.

5.      Stick to your deadline. If you cannot meet the deadline, contact us immediately to work out an alternate plan.

6.       Be proud of what you're doing. You have a great heart for volunteering!"

Perhaps these guidelines could be added somewhere here and/or on the site where we'll be picking up our images?  ::)

John

Quote from: KaDi on June 23, 2006, 02:08:52 PM
This message sent to me from Becky with the new round of photos might help clear up a few points. (Emphasis mine.)

"Here is a photo for you.  I know you've been through this process, but here's the guidelines we're sending to all volunteers!

The image is sized and cropped.  Basic color corrections are great, but don't worry too much as we will put the final correction on them to calibrate to the printers.  Once you are done, just send it back in the highest jpeg quality!

Following are guidelines that we ask you to follow while restoring this image (I realize some seem obvious... we send this to all volunteers):

1.      Your main goal should be to restore the memory that this photo invokes in its owner.

2.      Do not over restore. If the image becomes unrecognizable from its original form, than you risk damaging the emotional connection that the image holds with its owner. It is better to let some damage remain in order to preserve the integrity of the image.

3.      Do not add what was never there. Adding an interesting background may make for a better photo, but it does not serve our purpose.

4.      Do not use body parts from other images to replace missing ones in the photo that you are restoring. The owners of these images will immediately recognize anything that's "wrong".  If you have multiple photos of the same subject matter, it may be permissible to use some parts of one to better restore another, but only if the effect remains natural looking and does not adversely affect the integrity of the image.

5.      Stick to your deadline. If you cannot meet the deadline, contact us immediately to work out an alternate plan.

6.       Be proud of what you're doing. You have a great heart for volunteering!"

Perhaps these guidelines could be added somewhere here and/or on the site where we'll be picking up our images?  ::)

This brings up a good point.  I will work on putting up an FAQ board this weekend that people can go to as a reference.

Tofu

Thanks KaDi!  I had signed up before the PhotoShelter distribution but hadn't gotten any photos to work on yet.  So I hadn't seen these guidelines.  They certainly clear up a lot of questions I had regarding how far to take the image.  But this is also the first time I've heard of deadlines being associated with the images. 

So how long do we have to work on the photos?

ParkerF1

I feel that if you can improve an image, especially past it's original state, then it's a route you should take if you can. There is no moral responsibility to preserve poorly exposed captures... especially with incorrect white balance. Do what you can to salvage the memory lost... anything beyond that is a bonus.
Rob
ef17-40f/4L, 50f1.4, ef135f/2L
SpeedBrigade*FredMiranda*PSTechniques*pbase/rjs
retouchPro*w1k*Lambo-Power*NSX Prime*Fchat

JCar

I also had a photo restoration assignment that was not too bad as far as damage to the face of the person.  But the era of the photo suggested late 70s to early 80s, and those traveling photographers in those days (this is a school pic) had that same portable, blue grey backdrop that they used for everyone.  It all seemed very dark, on top of the obvious water and mold damage.  So I did lighten it some.  I'm glad to know that final color adjusting will be done with the printer, so I won't worry so much about that part anymore. 

I did get an account with Photobucket.  I hope it won't be held against me if I did not sign up with my full personal information.  OPR has all my correct info, but it felt a bit intrusive for a photo posting web site to insist on such personal information as birthdays and education.  Seemed a little too much to ask.  It does work well with my new Flock browser though, and my adblock killed the worst of the banner thingies, so that was good.

Anyway, as an experiment I am posting a link to my before and after restoration images on Photobucket.  http://olfaenom.notlong.com     

And after my slightly grumpy little rant about photobucket's overly nosy signup questions, I should also say that this forum is great, and very nicely done.  It sounds like things are coming together after a huge amount of hard work.  I am very glad to be part of it all, even a very tiny part. 

Also, I don't believe that the professional photo restoration businesses will lose much because of OPR.  Most people who had entire family photo albums damaged, likely wouldn't be able to afford to have all of them restored.  But maybe they can be selective and have just the most important ones professionally done. 

From what I have learned from my own family members in Florida (who were hit with several hurricanes in a row during the year prior to Katrina) and Mississippi, there is more than enough work to go around.  It shouldn't matter whether their photos were damaged specifically in Katrina.  Damage is damage, I hope we can help as many people as possible. 

Just my thoughts. 

By the way, Hello to everyone from Arizona! 
JCar

KaDi

Quote from: opradmin on June 23, 2006, 02:14:46 PM

This brings up a good point.  I will work on putting up an FAQ board this weekend that people can go to as a reference.

That would be great!
While you're at it...could we have some more positive smilies? I'd really like to give you a pat on the back but this is the best I can do.... :-*  I don't really think we've reached the kissy stage in our relationship yet (and don't get your hopes up) so I'll give you the only other relevant smilie available here....ready?  :)

My apologies for going off-topic.

Dave

Tofu asks if photo restoration businesses will be upset with what we are doing. It's a good question and one that I asked myself when Becky and I were in the early stages of OPR.

The reality of the situation is that the people we are helping don't have the money to have these images restored. All of their available funds are being used to rebuild homes, buy new cars and clothes. In general, they're putting their lives back together. Unfortunately, saving their photos is low on the priority list when compared to the greater necessities that require immediate attention.

You can also look at this way: Habitat for Humanity and other charitable groups are helping to rebuild homes. Is anyone wondering if the contractors are mad?

On a side note, as volunteer coordinator, I know for a fact that many of our volunteers either work as restoration artists or own photo restoration businesses. Many of them have said that this is a way to do something meaningful beyond what they do on a daily basis.
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Tofu

Quote from: OPRDave on June 23, 2006, 04:33:36 PMYou can also look at this way: Habitat for Humanity and other charitable groups are helping to rebuild homes. Is anyone wondering if the contractors are mad?

Great analogy.  At least it sets my mind at ease. :D

Quoin

Hi everyone. I never received those guidelines - so it was good to read them. They make sense. Not wanting to sound dumb here - what are the timeframes for image distribution - repair & return? (or post a link to info...)

Cheers... :)
The Future is waiting.....

Dave

When I was distributing images way back in May, I was setting a week deadline. I was more than flexible with that as long as the volunteer kept me informed of progress if additional time was needed.

If your not sure of what your deadline is, check with your distribution coordinator. Becky handles everyone with a last name that begins with C - M. Mike handles volunteers A-B and N-Z. Becky can be reached at [email protected] and Mike can be reached at [email protected].
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]